Should I go for a TKR?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Advice needed please. I am 59 years old, female and have a painful right knee. I always walk with a limp due to pain and discomfort. Approx 2+ years ago I had an arthroscopy due to a torn Meniscus. At the time the consultant told me my joint was "bone on bone." My knee is constantly swollen despite icing and elevation. On a good day I am able to walk about 2 miles. About 1 mile of this will be in discomfort. I walked for about two miles today and as normal after walking, my knee is now aching, swollen and very painful on standing. I know it is never going to get any better but the fact that I can still walk some distance, do I hold of having the TKR or do I just go for it? One of my favorite things is I have always enjoyed doing is walking; going for long walks in the country with my dogs. I purchased an electric bike last year and enjoy going out on this but suffer with a painful knee following using it. How bad should my knee be before having a TKR? Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's up to you. How is it affecting your life? For me, I realised my life was getting smaller and smaller... kind of a funnel effect... and I thought this is insane. I logged my walking and standing ability for a few weeks... I was shocked when I realised how bad it was... what happens is we dont always see how disabled we are.... just natural I guess. I realised increasingly that it was rapidly getting worse, rapidly... and however much physiotherapy I did it wasn't helping. I lost weight, because I needed to.... and that didn't make any difference either, even though I lost a good three stone! Are you using sticks or stick? This might be an option. Not good for the ego but I used one for about a year. However, even that had limited effect.. My reliable walking time was ten minutes. It was terrible. sometimes I could do more, but not reliably.

I would log your activity, and make a decision.

You do need to WANT it. Sometimes that takes time.

For me it was the most wonderful life changing decision.... I am now almost two years post op, and every day I am grateful for the surgery which enabled me to live my life again. I love walking too, and it makes my heart leap every time I walk down the road. It's such a great free feeling.

The surgery does have it's risks .. so it is always worth thinking carefully about it. yes, but you have to make a decision at some point.

I wrote all about my experience in my journal.take a look at my profile and you should be able to locate it. It is long and hard, but if you WANT the surgery, and you throw yourself into it.... it can be amazing, and give you a life you thought you had lost back.

As you can see, I am on the go for it side.... ! But it is a big decision, so do think carefully and you need to seriously realise that you do most of the work after the surgery, and it does take a long time. Some people take longer than others.. but I always found it helpful to think the whole thing was an investment, and it would take as long as it takes.

all the best! I am not on here so much, but having a short spell as the days are so grey and I enjoyed my time on the forum in the past, .... but you will know when the time is right.

• Posted

Hi I was just like you I have suffered for a number of years last year at 64 i decided to go for it and its the best thing I ever did I now have my life back I can walk take the grandchildren out do all the things I have not been able to do for so long without being in pain. I waited and waited till I could not walk without an aid of some kind. It is really up to you and how you feel I understand how you feel I was the same its a decision for you all i can say it takes time to get over but no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

If I could go back a few years I would of had it done earlier the longer you leave it the more pressure you are putting on your good leg. Good luck in making your decision make sure you have a good surgeon I am in the uk and I have no complaints. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies. Good to hear two positive opinions. Im going to have a chat to my Dr and ask for a referral back to the Consultant and go from there. He was thinking along the lines of a TKR and that was over 2 years ago. thank you both again.

• Posted

I was a reluctant candidate too....had a TKR last Christmas and am no pleased I did but during the early healing process I was beginning to think I had made the wrong decision to go ahead.....my recovery was extremely slow but many people on this forum have had a slightly easier ride. I decided to go ahead with surgery as my thinking was my recovery may take even longer the older I got but the pain was getting the better of me - to the point I couldn't get over the bath tub for a shower and I couldn't bathe due to a back condition...

So it's up to you as it's an elective procedure but the longer you leave it your limping may start to put other things out of kilter.....

If you live on your own, make sure you can get all the help in place for your recovery at home and recovery will take as long as it takes (I am a year now and you wouldn't know) - have a look at Chico's posts on there - he has a wealth of knowledge and advice and tells it exactly like it is....

I wish you good luck and let us know how you get on....x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.