Should I go through with Aquablation & can the prostate get smaller by itself?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am signed up for Aquablation in 3 weeks time. I am having misgivings for several reasons:

1/ I have 9 pairs of urolift tags which I fear may snarl up the process

2/ I have worried about the high risk of bleeding subsequently

3/ My symptoms have improved over the last month

1. The urologist admits that there may be some interference by the tags but he is an expert on urolift and should be able to take some action
  2. I am scared about the 3-way catheter. I had one once when I had haematuria (bleeding) and my bladder went into spasm. I gather that I would have to support one of these for a long time post-op. I don't know what could be done if I can't support the catheter. (There is no way to get at my prostate from the front as I have gauze across the front after a double hernia repair)
  3. I have been experiencing loss of libido recently. This seems to coincide with my symptoms improving markedly - particularly for the flow. I have had no instances recently of dripping and not being able to pee in the middle of the night. I wonder whether my testosterone has dropped and my prostate has shrunk (I can find no mention of this possibility anyway although some drugs to shrink the prostate reduce testosterone, so it seems reasonable)

I cannot find the previous posts on aquablation on this site. I put some post in but they seem to have disappeared. I would welcome anyone replying especially if you have had aquablation

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

good luck, where are you doing aquablation? if your flow has improved why do it? urolift would not shrink prostate - could the hernia operation be the culprit re libido?

• Posted

Aquablation is in the UK. My flow has improved recently, but I fear that it may just be a temporary respite.

I know that urolift does not shrink the prostate. My hernia operation was 16 years ago - I mention it because of the gauze I am left with.

I just feel that my libido has flat lined and wonder whether for some reason my testosterone has gone down, and wonder whether that in itself could shrink the prostate.

• Posted

an acquaintance of mine said the flow was much improved but he still had to self catheterize because his bladder was damaged. he also said libido was not affected by Urolift - everyones bodies are different who knows?

Did you say that the mesh now prevents you being catheterized ? my former father in law had urolift he was over 80 said it didnt help. libido loss could be for any reason but medications are probably the cause for most unless its just aging, being out of shape or eating badly.

• Posted

I am not suggesting my libido was affected by Urolift. I am just experiencing low libido.

The mesh is nothing to do with catheters. I mention it because it is not possible to cut me open if something desperate needs to be done if all goes wrong..

I am not taking any medications that might give me low libido.

Cheers

• Posted

Have you been taking any drugs to shrink the prostate ? Any anti inflammation drugs ? Just got over some serious constipation ?

• Posted

Mikemh,

When and where did you have the Urolift ? What is your prostate size ? Do you know if you have enlarged median lobe ? Prostates over 80g and enlarged median lobe can make Urolift less effective. There is a new Urolift procedure (Medlift) for enlarged median lobe since May 2018.

Your Urologist should be able to tell you what action he would take.

It seems like they should remove the Urolift clips before doing Aquablation, if you still want to do Aquablation.

Your Urolift may not be effective because of a weak or stretched bladder. Maybe you should do a Urodynamics test, to assess your bladder condition, before another procedure.

Thomas

• Posted

I had a (two) Urolifts in UK when my prostate was 80cc. Now it is over 120cc.

My Urologist is the UK leader on Urolift and Aquablation.

I have done a urodynamics test

All the best

• Posted

Hi MIke, is Aquablation the same as FLA (focused laser ablation)? Is it available on the NHS ? I too have had Urolift but it has only been partially successful as I have a median lobe pressing on the bladder neck. Where in the UK are you getting this done?

Loss of libido happens as you get older; unfortunately the prostate carries on growing.

• Posted

Hi Andrew

I thought I had already replied to you but maybe not.

I had the aquablation in London (privately) 5 days ago. Too early to judge.

I understand it is approved by NICE and may be starting up on the NHS in Frimley Park Hospital soon

Best

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.