Should I go through with bunion surgery?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello my name is Alyssa. I'm almost 21 and I have bunions on both my feet.

I went to a podiatrist recently and was told I have a mild to moderate case of bunions on both of my feet. The professional opinion I was given was to try the more conservative route before going through with the surgery. This route includes changing my shoe type to something with an arch support (because I'm flat-footed) and something that is mesh and not real tight around the bunion area. I was told if I continue to have pain, there are different things I can try including bunion cushions, orthotics, cortizone shots, ice for inflammation, etc. He proceeded to tell me if the shoe change works and I'm not having pain like I am now, that I can wait a couple years and see where I want to go from there. He did tell me that regardless, I was going to need the surgery eventually.

With that being said, my immediate thought is to just get the surgery over with then because the sooner the better. I have read reviews that say to get the operation done if the bunion is causing pain. I'm young and healthy with limited bills and responsibilities as of now. I'm still living at home. I am going to college for a Bachelor's in Hospitality & Tourism Management but all of my courses are online going into the fall semester. For work, I'm in Room Service at a hotel on the beach where I'm mostly on my feet the whole time and this is 5 days a week. I recently finished the EMT program and I plan on working for Sunstar after I pass my National Registry exam. Of course this surgery would put a slight hold on this plan but that is part of the reason I think I should have it done sooner rather than later. I'm active and ambitious but if I'm going to need this surgery regardless, my thought is it should be now. 

Thoughts?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

In my personnal opinion I would have it done. I had bunions on both little toes and I did all of the conservative stuff for about two years. I had surgery on my right foot a couple of weeks ago and will have the left done later this year. I tried the toe straightener\bump guard, wide shoes,icing, and inserts. I did not do the cortizone shots, because those can be hit or miss and don't last very long. I am very active too and the bunions were not responding to any of the conservative treatment. As for the surgery there is many types and recovery is different for everyone. My first week and half was tough. I am doing a little better now and I get the bandages removed today. The conservative treament may help for a short term for some, but it won't correct the deformity or keep it from getting worse. I am happy with my descision to move forward with it. 

• Posted

This is helpful I appreciate it. Glad you're doing better! I was thinking the same thing about going the conservative route. Even if it does help, it won't fix the problem just might take some of the pain away. 

• Posted

This is a tricky one & a personal one really I guess. I was offered the surgery 10 years ago but declined it as (a) my bunion wasn't causing me too much trouble back then, (b) I was told I'd be off my feet for a minimum of 6 weeks which I couldn't afford & (c) I was told that as I was relatively young (32 at the time) & have flat feet there was the potential that I would need further surgery as the bunion may return due to the way I walk. I figured I'd really only want that surgery once so wanted to put it off for as long as possible. 10 years later & I think I've now hit the stage where I can't put it off much longer. It has definitely gotten worse & on the negative side I now suspect the surgery will be more extensive as the bunion has developed from mild to moderate to moderate to severe. So it is a tricky one unfortunately & only a decision you can ultimately make. Best wishes whatever you decide.

• Posted

I did talk about how if I were to get the surgery now it would be less extensive because I have a moderate case. I think there are definitely pros and cons. Thanks and good luck to you also!

• Posted

Yes it is a case of weighing up the pros & cons. I also get the point someone else made about usually you heal quicker when younger. I have another condition which has unfortunately meant 8 surgeries between the ages of 19 & 42 & I must admit recovery has gotten harder as I've gotten older 😞. It's probably why I've been putting this off really! It's good to hear the success stories on here though & people saying it's been worthwhile doing. Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Alyssa,

Like you I was diagnosed with similar at 25 and the wider fitting shoes did it for me, for a short time. I kept putting off going back, eventually folding in to the pain 18 months ago. My first operation on my right foot along with a hammer toe op sadly wasn't successful, however, 9th June had a double operation....and this time it's a success....it took me 29 years to decide to get something done! My advice, whilst you're still young, go for it. Youth and quicker healing is on your side. Xx

• Posted

I'm glad the operation was successful for you! My thoughts exactly, thank you!

• Posted

I've had bunions for as long as I can remember...I'm 50 now. The only reason I decided to go for surgery now is due to the pain level. They weren't overly big but very painful. I know that now the surgery is done I will only be wearing flat shoes as to preserve my lovely straight feet....which is the bonus as surgery was done for pain relief. I wore heeled shoes nearly all my life until the pain got too much so you also need to take into account your footwear. If you're a heels girl you should take advice on if you can damage the good work done having surgery. Lots to think about.

• Posted

I am more into just throwing on flip flops or something comfortable but I've got shoes that are mesh I really just need to start wearing those no exceptions. How are you doing post surgery?

• Posted

Dear Alyssa,

I agree with you to have your op done sooner  than later. I had bunions since I can remember on both of my feet. It was just part of my life. I love shoes but tried for years to avoid certain types because of my odd feet. The problem never went away. After having two children the bunions seemed to be worse I don't know why. 

From reading your message I think it is the perfect timing to get them done now. Only thing I would raise here would be choosing the right surgeon. It is crucial! 

I am not sure which country are you in, I live in Australia so podiatrists are qualified to do the surgery. I initially booked the op with one of them but after my GP visit I decided to go for an orthopaedic surgeon. I know as a fact that the training for them is lengthy and professional. Also I discovered that after insurance and Medicare, the out of pocket coat was significantly cheaper to go for an orthopaedic surgeon rather than a podiatrist so you go figure.

I had my op done last week still recovering but so far so good. I have had very little pain. 

Good luck with your decisions.

Sandra

• Posted

I'm post surgery 5 months right foot and 3 weeks left foot. I'm over the worst. The 1st few weeks are painful and frustrating but I'm so pleased I'm done now. The difference I feel in my right foot is unbelievable. I feel like it's a new foot. I have more of an instep....I have flat feet....no more aching feet so bad my husband used to massage them most nights and .......no pain. It's amazing how you get used to living with discomfort and pain. No time is a good time to have it done in my opinion. This is the one time I put me 1st and I'm pleased I've done it.

• Posted

I just had moderate bunion surgery on Tuesday,  The pain the firsst day was pretty bad, but doablle.  I tok 600 mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day along with a strong antibiotic (will only take this for three days) and I took 1 percocet at night because I wanted to get a good night's sleepl, By Wednesday the pain had subsided quite a bit and I took the daily meds and 1 percocet at night,  I slept through the night.  

Yesterday the pain was mil with just occasionnal ouch moments but not bad.  Last night I skipped the percocet and slept relatively well with some tossing and turning but only a couple spurts of pain,  This moring I feel fine but conntinued the ibuproven for the inflamation,  I have kept the foot elevated (but not above the heart) and iced several times a day.

I see the doctor on Monnday and hope to get released from the crutches and switch to a cane,  I have walked on the boot several times with no extra painn,  

I do have a high pain tolerance but I wouldn;t hesitate to o do it again,  But I made sure that I did my ressearch on my doctor before hand,  He  wasnt; the friendliest guy but he had great reviews as a surgeon and they were right,  Before you even consider doing it, check that out first,  Havinng tthe right surgeon makes all the difference in recovery,

Best of luck and just remember that eachday it will get a iittle easier,  I am 65 and so you will probably heal even faster.

Also I don;t know if they are availabe in the UK, but if not Amazon carries New Balance shoes.  My surgeon has a big practice and he said look out in the hallway, all the doctors and half the staff were wearing New Balance sneakers,  He told me to buy wide ones because of the bunion but the brand becuase they offere the best support in the field.  HIs recommendation was to only buy New Balance and then tne nurse said if you want something a bit more stylish try the New Balance Mary Jane -- not bad looking for an orthopedic shoe,  Hoe this helps,

• Posted

I had bunion surgery in Potsdam Germany 5 weeks ago and I have 14 screws 2 plates and 4 broken bones all together in my feet. For a year. This enabled me to do both feet at once. However walking went from 20 steps a day to about 200 a day up to today. I can't stand longer than 10 min without the feeling of my feet starting to burn. On short walks I don't feel anything. The dr I used has done 10000 feet using the same method and his plates. I used a wheelchair for mall trips going to bars within freinds art exhibitions and the zoo. I can drive now but don't fit in shoes very well. Barefoot is more comfortable. Before I had custom orthodontics for a few years but they were really ugly and my feet hurt often. I am glad I did it there and had the time to recover with lots of help from my family.  

Hope this helps. 

Good luck to you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.