Posted , 9 users are following.
Hello my name is Alyssa. I'm almost 21 and I have bunions on both my feet.
I went to a podiatrist recently and was told I have a mild to moderate case of bunions on both of my feet. The professional opinion I was given was to try the more conservative route before going through with the surgery. This route includes changing my shoe type to something with an arch support (because I'm flat-footed) and something that is mesh and not real tight around the bunion area. I was told if I continue to have pain, there are different things I can try including bunion cushions, orthotics, cortizone shots, ice for inflammation, etc. He proceeded to tell me if the shoe change works and I'm not having pain like I am now, that I can wait a couple years and see where I want to go from there. He did tell me that regardless, I was going to need the surgery eventually.
With that being said, my immediate thought is to just get the surgery over with then because the sooner the better. I have read reviews that say to get the operation done if the bunion is causing pain. I'm young and healthy with limited bills and responsibilities as of now. I'm still living at home. I am going to college for a Bachelor's in Hospitality & Tourism Management but all of my courses are online going into the fall semester. For work, I'm in Room Service at a hotel on the beach where I'm mostly on my feet the whole time and this is 5 days a week. I recently finished the EMT program and I plan on working for Sunstar after I pass my National Registry exam. Of course this surgery would put a slight hold on this plan but that is part of the reason I think I should have it done sooner rather than later. I'm active and ambitious but if I'm going to need this surgery regardless, my thought is it should be now.
0 likes, 13 replies