Should i go through with it??

Posted , 3 users are following.

So about 3 1/2 months ago i developed an anal fissure and i saw a doctor for it about 2 months ago and she gave a cream which didnt work. Fast forward to now i am booked in for an LIS surgery next week. I should be happy to say this but the last week i have been feeling so much better! Quite minimal pain during BM and some spasms afterwards, nothing compared to what it was. So i called my doctor and spoke with her assistant who basically said the location of my fissure will very likely reopen given one bad poop. I am terrified for surgery even more so since i have been feeling almost normal again. I want this thing to heal completely and i dont know what i should do from here... i took the time off work and recruited help from my parents with the baby and im afraid going into the holidays i wouldnt be able to enjoy them if i dont get the surgery and have a reopening of the fissure. Ahhhh! What should i do??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI kellie, such a tough decision! For me, my fissure kept getting better and then coming back again, so i was in agony for a few weeks and then i would have a break for a month and then the pain would begin again. It was sometimes a hardish BM, and sometimes it just came back for no reason. And then eventually it would not get better. I had the surgery and my recovery took a lot longer than most people on this forum, in fact i still have some pain most days although it is no

where near the pain i had with the fissure.

My surgery was over 3 months ago .

I would probably advise to wait and see if this fissure is completely healed and then watch what you eat, drink lots of water, take Miralax every night and hope it doesnt

come back! good luck and keep us updated

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! See the thing is the pain hasnt gone away, it just has lessened. It is definitely chronic as i have a sentinel tag along with the fissure. I have taken time off work and invited my parents down from colorado to help with my new baby during this time so im worried i wouldnt have a better opportunity if say in a month it gets worse again.. and as the doctor had said the position of it does not seem to be promising to heal. I would hate to jump to surgery but im just going by what the doctor recommends.

• Posted

oh then i would definitely take your doctors advice. For most people the pain after surgery is so much better and should be gone about a week or so.

If all the arrangements are in place and the doctor has advised you to have the surgery then do it 😃

Good luck and keep us informed about your recovery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.