Should I go to a doctor?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m in my first year of university and doing a health degree. I’ve had most of these for a while now, but they’ve gotten worse since starting uni in September.

Often takes me 1 – 2 hours to fall asleep.

Sleep for 10 – 11 hours when finally asleep.

Nervous for any social gathering.

Sometimes initially look forward to it but get stressed and don’t want to go as it gets closer.

Often when I’m out, I just want to run home. Don’t enjoy what I used to.

Get stressed walking anywhere on my own.

When I walk into a room, I feel like everyone is staring at me.

Worried people laugh and gossip about me.

Go into university on the computers for example, I feel like I need a friend with me to ask for help in case something doesn’t work.

When I had a job before, I used to feel worried the night before, then feel sick, tremble and sweat the morning before going. Not just the first couple of shifts due to nerves of starting a new weekend job, but for the full two years I was there.

I was always worried I would get yelled at for doing something wrong. I felt like I had no clue what I was doing and it was a matter of time before the manager would find out.

Today I felt I just had to turn down part time work at university because it included being asked questions from next years applicants. Even though I wanted to do it sad

Personality has changed, feel I’m not interesting to talk to (talking well with others is particularly important for my degree as doing therapies, I need to engage with people).

Too worried to stand up to people if they’re being inconsiderate as I’m worried they’ll what they’re doing even worse.

When I wake up my heart sinks, I think this is normal for most, but for me it’s because I don’t want to face whatever the day is going to throw at me.

Often spend all day wanting it to be the evening so I can go to bed where I feel safer.

These tend to be worse when I’m at uni, but got better the two times that I went home at Christmas and February half term. I don’t know what all this is or how normal it is. I keep wondering whether I should go and see a doctor. Problem is, I’m too nervous to go and see one, and doing things like ringing unknown people up also stresses me out. I also worry a doctor would judge me or think I’m pathetic, which is ridiculous because we health students get taught not to do that and to accept everyone’s circumstances, and I wouldn’t think negatively at all about someone else with this. Should I see a doctor?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes you should see a doctor you are suffering from anxiety for sure and need to get some help with it. Obviously you have lost a lot of confidence. Take someone to the doc with you.

Take care. I feel for you.

D

• Posted

Even tho I don't really suffer from anxiety anymore,my self esteem never recovered from when I did. You need to get a grip of your anxiety Em, you don't want to be in your 30's like me and have something like a spot on your face take over your life until it's gone. I think strangers are mocking me because of a stupid pimple,I know I'm being stupid,I just can't help it. I'm no stunner,but I don't think I'm a beast either,but due to my low confidence I'm stuck in a sh*tty job earing crappy money whilst my Missus is earning twice what I do. 

Out of curiosity where your parents supportive as a child? My two siblings were (are) very good looking,and one of them was good at everything she did. Don't get me wrong I had a good childhood,but I always felt insuperior to my siblings and it's still effecting me today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.