should I go to the hospital?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A couple of weeks ago I had a manic episode and one of the "brilliant" decisions I made was stopping all of my meds cold turkey. I held the belief that I was doing good, however on Monday night I had a complete break down and became suicidal. My nine year old heard my crying and ranting and came to try to console me. Despite the fact that I hate myself even more for allowing my daughter to be subjected to the dark aspects of this disease, her being their helped me calm down. Since then I have still been in a deep depression without suicidal thoughts but I want to quit feelings this way so I was going to restart my meds. My concerned father wanted me to make sure it was safe to restart my meds because of the high doses I normally take so i tried to get a hold of my psychiatrist, who is unfortunately on vacation. His assistant recommends that I go to the hospital and be admitted for observance because I have a lot of other health issues. I don't want to go to the hospital but I need to start my meds again. Should I bite the bullet and go in?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try not to hate yourself. It's an illness. Go to hospital to get restabilised. Big hug x
  • Posted

If you don't reply to this, I hope you are in hospital being well looked after
  • Posted

Unfortunately due to health insurance restrictions I was unable to go directly to the mental hospital and was referred to my local ER. I spent over six hours there explaining the symptoms I've been exhibiting like depression, anxiety, increases anger, and suicidal thoughts but the Dr. was only concerned about my diabetes. I told them that I quit taking all of my medication, including my diabetes and psych meds and tried to emphasize that I don't feel stable but all they did was treat my hyperglycemia and sent me home. At this point I feel like I have no other option but to restart my psych meds without supervision and hope that they do not cause serious side effects and begin to lessen the severity of my symptoms. I think it's insane that I couldn't get help at the hospital despite the fact that I blatantly told them that I am in no condition to fight this illness on my own.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry that's terrible.

How are you? I hope you are with family or friends? Very big hug X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.