Should i goto the doctor (again) about this? 5 years later

Edited , 3 users are following.

Hi! I'm new to here so I'm sorry if anything im doing is wrong.

Basically im 20 F

When i started my period they were always very heavy and very painful . So much so i missed out on months of school etc. I vomited , passed out, couldnt eat and couldnt move and it eventually made me too anxious to leave home because i was scared the pain might start randomly (even when i wasnt on my period)

I went to my local GP a few times (started age 14 going to GP about it , started periods about 12 ). They didnt take me too seriously until my mother brought me in age 15 unconscious with the pain. I was given an injection (Pethidine) then given an ibuprofen prescription the same day.

Then after another visit ponstan, then after another visit told to look into my diet then finally after seeing a male doctor(previously saw a female doctor) he gave me microlite. He also mentioned at the time it might be endo.

Everytime i go to the doctor these days they dont really mention anything to me about it since im no longer in that much pain. I go in, get my blood pressure done and come out with a prescription .

I've been on birth control since i was 15 so its now about 5 years constantly on it. I'm not sexually active so i dont need it and i would like to come off it . I also think (not sure??) you shouldn't be on it long term. i'm scared to come off it because as a university student i can't let the pain ruin my education again.

With the pandemic i feel like its useless to go now and that im possibly wasting their time. i'm also worried i'll end up on the doctors bed again unconscious when theres worse off people in the waiting room. I've never looked into if it was actually endo (or anything else for that matter).

If its worth looking into what should i do ? Who should i go to? I'm totally lost and feel like im making a big deal out of nothing but im honestly sick of being on birth control (it doesnt do well with my mental health and slight side note is that i'm getting a lot of migraines and my hair has fell out and i've some patches , wondering if it a cause of the birth control, another reason to want to come off it.) but scared to come off it because for once i'm able to have some sort of life.

any advice would help ! thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

Report / Delete

2 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Lildaisy,

    I am sorry you are going through that. I would recommend you make a plan and still see a gp but try to see someone who understands endometriosis.

    I would also recommend the book period repair by lara briden. She gives tones of precious information on women health but also a full chapter is dedicated to endometriosis.

    You should ask your GP to be referred to a clinician that specialised in endometriosis.

    Best of luck!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi I'm sorry to hear this. If you do come off birth control your periods may be heavy again. If you do come off worth asking for tranexamic acid to control the heavy bleeding during your periods. Also as the other person said its worth asking for a referral to an endometriosis specialist at hospital nearby.

    Hope you get the support you need.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up