Should I have further surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a keyhole examination April 2017 Unable to repair rotator cuff I have had ongoing Physiotherapy Cortisone injection times 3 Had suprascapular nerve block 3

I am still having a good deal of pain I have got good movement but no strength I can't lift the kettle or iron etc

I was given the option of a patch but am a bit scared in case it fails.

I am seeing my Surgeon on Wednesday and am unsure about what decision I should make He did offer me a second opinion

Opinion would be appreciated Sue

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

UGH!~  What is the original injury/issue?  Why can't the RC be repaired?  Does physical therapy help?  Massage therapy?  Did you have an MRI?  Get another opinion away from the current surgeon's cluster. GOOD LUCK

• Posted

In my case, the supraspinitus tendon (the large tendon going over the top of your shoulder) was completely torn off the bone and  had retracted. It was wasting and had no substance.   At that point, they cannot stretch the tendon back over the shoulder.  Thank God there is a new procedure to take care of it.  It is called a Superior Capsular Reconstruction.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your response.  I didn't really have an injury just developed pain in my right shoulder.  Initially I just took some anti inflammatory meds and then went to see my GP  He thought it was RC and advised phyiotherapy which I had.  This was making the pain worse so I was referred to a Surgeon.  The RC was very ragged and he was not able to repair  The joint was very inflammed I had a bursectomy and can't remember the name of what was done but basically made a bit more room and generally cleaned the joint up.  I am not able to have MRI due to a spinal stimulator implant so just had a scan  I was doing quite well initially but one day I lifted a bottle of bleach and instantly severe pain in the shoulder.  This was about 2 months maybe a little more. The pain did improve with Cortisone injection but the improvement was not sustained.  I think I may have had an extension of the tear ?  I have had physiotherapy aquatherapy etc without success.  It is a case of how much pain I should be prepaired to put up with.  A patch would be put from a good quality area of the RC but there is no guarantee it would be successful which is worrying.  My surgeon did offer me the opportunity of a second opinion but I am confident in his ability.   My Daughter thinks I should have the second opinion.  I am due to see my surgeon on Wednesday.  The Physiotherapist says I don't have to make a decision right now but rather to discuss my options again.  She feels that other than continuing with the current physiotherapy there is nowhere else to go with it,  I had the origional surgery 8th April last year.  Thanks again Sue

• Posted

Sounds really nasty I don't think mine is anything like as bad as that It really was the quality of the cuff where it was torn.

Will see what is said on Wednesday and post it here .

Thanks again

• Posted

When you say a "patch" are you referring to a graft to go where the tendon was?   If so, I had that surgery 9 weeks ago.  They used donated tissue.  I have read a LOT about this procedure and asked many questions before I agreed.  Everything I read has said it is a very successful operation and I should regain my rotation and strength.  It is a LONG and slow road, but I am willing to invest my time and effort because I have a life to live.  Like you, prior to surgery, I could not lift anything and had no strength.  I was tired of dropping everything and I was in a lot of pain. I knew this was no way to live.  And it was only getting worse.  The doctor explained it to me this way.  The tendons keep the ball and socket joint of your shoulder stable.  If the tendon is torn or completely off the bone like mine was, the ball part of the joint will wobble around in the socket instead of moving smoothly.   That will cause arthritis and possibly even  tear the lining of the socket.  It's just my opinion, but I would give it serious consideration.  Be prepared for 4-5 months of therapy.  They have to retrain your muscles to do the work of the tendon. I'm  so thankful  there is a solution for this type of problem.  It is fairly new, about 10 years.  Like I said, I  am 9 weeks post op and I have very good range of motion.  Strength not so good but it will get there. As long as I don't move my shoulder, I don't have any pain.  And when the therapist moves it, I am fine.  If I try to lift my  arm myself, it does hurt, but getting better.   Let us know how your appointment goes.  There's lots of people here to support you and that helps.  Good luck!  By the way, my surgeon told me the chance of a failed graft is about 1 in 5 million!

• Posted

I have now got a date for my surgery on 12th June.

Whilst I am not looking forward to it I am tired of the limitations due to a combination of pain and lack of power.

I am hoping that he will be able to graft the cuff but it depends on the condition of the cuff as well as bone quality. I do have a degree of osteoporosis.

Should it not be possible he will use a balloon spacer that another forum member had spoken about.

I have arranged a cleaner to come in for a minimum of 6 weeks.

I have also arranged a mobile hairdresser to come in twice a week to do my hair.

Today I bought some suitable clothing that I can pull on plus blouses with button down the front.

I have ordered a new V pillow for support and bought further gel ice packs.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your earlier input

Sue

• Posted

Sounds like you are all  prepared.  The only other thing I did was make up some  meals ahead of time  and froze them.  Sure didn't feel like cooking after surgery.  Have some fruit around the house too,  you will need it. You will do fine as long as you can have someone with you the first couple of days unless they are keeping you in the hospital for a day or two.  Nothing is easy,  but it can be done.  Do everything slow and easy.   I had a graft 3 1/2 months ago.  If that is what happens with you, be prepared for a long recovery.  Like 6 months in therapy.  But...it is the road to a pain free shoulder so I am committed to it.  Let us know how you do and best of luck for a successful recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Yes I intend to do some cooking. My 21 year old Student Granddaughter is going to stay at least one night. She is funny cheerful !

Just what the Dr ordered. She will be home 5 th June You sound like you are working hard I wish you a very successful recovery and outcome

Sue

• Posted

Nothing like a granddaughter to make things better <3

• Posted

Good luck with the surgery! Yay for the V Pillow. I just got mine and I'm already in love with it. I am not naturally a back sleeper and had a lot of trouble sleeping comfortably on my side. So a couple more things to think about. You may also need a wedge pillow for the first couple of weeks. Hopefully if you need to reheat prepared meals your microwave is easy to reach since you will only be able to use one arm. You may want to ask your doctor if a cyro cuff would be helpful. It has been great for me. The biggest problem is getting ice for it since I don't have an ice maker and live alone. My kids and Mother are not around the corner but since I live in the city, I can walk around the corner with my little grannie cart and buy ice.  I did need help from my kids and friends to wash dishes until the sling came off. 

• Posted

Thank you the wedge pillow might be a good idea Not sure what a cryo cuff is? Still trying to sort out a cleaner. The lady who cleans for a friend can only do 2 hrs a week not enough for me.

Still trying to find someone else as I will need more help than that.

I too live alone. I do get my groceries delivered by Sainsbury's . Shopped on line with them for 14 years. If you place an order on the day before 12 they will deliver the same day after 6

The delivery drivers are excellent. When I had my surgery last year they lifted everything out of large baskets and put it where it needed to go in my kitchen

My Granddaughter is on holiday from University hopeless at cleaning but she can do odds and ends for me. She is great fun and very upbeat so great to have around.

Her head is in the clouds as she leaves 14th August bound for Charleston College South Carolina for her 3rd University year She will return to Sussex University for her 4th and final year 2019-20

She spent last summer in Michigan doing Camp America Loved it .

Just trying to stay positive that 2nd time my surgery will be successful

THANKS AGAIN Sue x

• Posted

A cyro cuff is an machine with ice in it plus a cuff (in your case a shoulder cuff). Essentially it circulates ice water around your shoulder and also applies some compression, the mechanical ones are great.  I borrowed one and it helped me a lot through the first few weeks while I was still in a cast. There are different brands but I think that the aircast one is the least expensive. They still cost a couple hundred bucks so if you can buy a used one or find a friend who has had shoulder surgery and has one (like I did).

Do a web search on it and of course talk to your doctor. 

• Posted

Thank you for all that information very interesting.  I had asked what they used for the patch and I think he said dacron or some such material but not sure about that.  I would need to discuss it further.  He said that you would put the patch from a good healthy area of the cuff so therefore bridge the damaged area.   I have concerns that it might fail if the quality of my bone is not great.  I am 76 but healthy and mobile just very restricted by the problem with my right shoulder.  Sue
  • Posted

I vote for a second opinion, but I also think if you want to get better, you should probably have the surgery. Please read the post on this board , they are quite helpful to know what to expect. It is not an easy surgery and recovery takes up to a year.
    • Posted

Thank you. Yes I probably should have the surgery as I am in a good deal of pain and taking analgesia.

I live alone so dread the aftermath and the recovery time. I have actually had the problem with my shoulder now for over 2 years.

• Posted

Just getting back Had a long chat with my Consultant today

I have agreed to having a graft but should that not be possible due to the quality of the RC then he would do a debridement and use this space balloon procedure.

Unfortunately there is a considerable waiting list however I have said I would take a cancellation

I am happy with the proposal

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.