Should I have my gallbladder removed? No stones but constant pain and sickness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been sick for a few years on and off. I have constant nausea, diarrhea up to 5 times every morning, and some vomiting. I wake up in a panic and have to run to the bathroom! I've lost weight and I have pain in the upper right side under my ribs and even worse is in my back, in the same spot though. I can barely eat or function. I have had reflux for years and been on PPI's. I had a hida scan with an EF of 37%. I went to the doc ready to get my gallbladder removed but he said he refused to do it because it's only a 50% chance it will help. My mother had biliary dyskinesia and had hers removed as well as stents put into her bile ducts. But by the time they got to it her liver was so damaged it was like she had been a sever alcoholic so she was sick for the rest of her life and had to live on pain killers, and she couldn't work. I'm terrified of ending up like that. I just want to feel better but I'm lost as what to do. My diet consists of about 6 foods and has for the last few years as I can't stomach anything else. Please help!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I should also add that I'm unable to exercise as it makes me feel so much sicker. Even just power walking makes me feel terrible. 

• Posted

Rebekah if your dr says only 50% chance of feeling it will help, i wonder why, you have been suffering a very long time havnt you.   only thing i can suggest  is what i did many many years ago and i was so bad the whites o my eyes were going yellow and my skin too on my face.

I went on a diet and took advice from a friend who was also a qualified homoepathic , By the time i got the phone call to go in and have it out i was so much better after following her advice. They took another scan and confirmed it wasnt bad enough to have out! had to cut out fatty foods and chocolate and other things.

Is the diarrhea  connected or is it due to panic attacks. The fact you have lost weight as well and feeling so bad and taking on your mothers outcome its no wonder your worried. Presume your dr has made sure it is just your gall bladder caising your symptoms. You clearly cant go on like this. Look on google, milk thistle, and are you sure your 6 foods arnt causing you any problems, allergys or intolerants.  

Maybe you need a 2cnd opionion? Im copying this message incase it gets refused to sent to you the fact i mentioned Milk thistle! Then ill pm it all to you instead!

Sue 

• Posted

I have done a ton of changing my diet over the last few years. No gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no acidic foods, low fat foods, no grains. I eat bananas and turkey and tuna and coconut products mostly. I've been working with someone homeopathic but have not been getting better. I am tired of not being able to eat without getting sick to my stomach. And being sick even without eating. My bilirubin has increased and my eyes are tinged yellow. I do have many food allergies and intolerances too. 

• Posted

I also do not drink anything but water and herbal tea. No caffeine or carbonation or alcohol. 
  • Posted

Rebekah i really think you need a 2ncnd opinion hear, this sounds awfull to say the least. Have you tried taken a good quality probiotic at all to help your gut.

Your diet doesn't seem to be helping much at all. Have you looked up candida on google.

• Posted

Yes I have been tested and do not have candida. I also was on probiotics for a few years but they actually made me worse. They did find a overgrowth of bacteria but I've taken xifaxin for that. 

• Posted

Get a second opinion before considering gallbladder removal.  Having your gallbladder out can cause complications.
    • Posted

That is what I've read and heard and the reason I haven't had it out already. But I'm at a point where I'm constantly sick and in pain and nothing helps. I can't live like this much longer as I'm a stay at home mom and have a 2 year old to watch 24/7. I don't have time to be sick. 

• Posted

Thanks, I have made an appointment for Monday morning with a surgeon to discuss what he thinks
  • Posted

Hi Rebekah. I hope the second opinion helped! If not, KEEP SEARCHING FOR A DOCTOR WHO WILL HELP YOU! I have constant pain in my right upper abdomen and have been limiting my diet for years trying to figure out how to make it go away. It sometimes keeps me from sleeping and I sometimes have loose stool. I saw a gastroenterologist and they did a test on my gallbladder and found it was not functioning properly. He recommended removing it. The surgeon told me the same thing - only a 50/50 chance of it helping. However, he told me he would remove it if I chose to do that, and I am not experiencing nearly as many difficulties as you are. So you should definitely get a second opinion! I haven't decided whether or not to remove mine yet (trying other things first), but at least I have the option. You deserve to have the option too!

• Posted

Thanks everyone! I did end up seeing a surgeon and he said I should have it out. I had it removed about a month ago and he said when removed it my lymph node that should be the size of a pea was the size of his thumb, so definitely good it came out! No stones though still. smile I've been doing well other then being put on Welchol for all the loose stools. But the medication works miracles!

• Posted

Get the gallbladder out I've had mine out it's a simple procedure my mother never had her silence stones out and years later a lot of years later but she got gallbladder cancer it's just going to get worse and never gets better get it out what's a simple thing

• Posted

Oh I saw you got it out that's good wow about the lymph node it was meant to be ..best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.