Should I have pain in walker boot.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 6 week post op from fracturing my ankle. I've had a metal plate, small screws plus 2 large screws at the bottom of my ankle holding my main ligament in place so it would mend.

I had my cast off 4 days ago and now I have a walker boot on. My consultant advised me to start of partial weight bearing but in 6 weeks he wants me full weight bearing but still on crutches. I'm waiting on an appointment for physio in the meantime but I've got so many questions running through my head amd was wondering if people could help.

My ankle is in so much pain when with the slightest bit of weight.. is this normal?

The 2 large screws will snap at some point, will that hurt even more?

Should I be doing any exercises with my ankle whilst waiting for physio?

I'm petrified of taking the walker boot off and having nothing round my leg, is this normal? It's like I have anxiety over it.

Will I ever walk again?

The swelling isn't around where I has the operation or where I broke my bone, its just under the ankle bone and round the back of my foot, why's that?

At the moment I'm so down about it all, I'm struggling with even looking at my leg because of the skin condition (which I'm trying to keep moisturised and elevated as much as possible) and colour. Please please can someone help put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance. Nikki.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ask a friend to  walk with you
    • Posted

I go to my doctor February 14. I am in my 7wk. I've been nwb for 5 wks. I'm so anxious to know what's next. Do anybody know.?

• Posted

Depending on whether youve had surgery or not, with me they took my cast off and put a walker boot on, then for the next 6 week im partial weight baring but towards of the 6 week i have to be full weight baring but still using crutches.

Hope you recover very soon.

• Posted

I've had a walker boot on for 5 weeks . I'm so happy to say that I'm no longer in pAin. Is that a good sign? Now it's time to start partial waking in the boot. Is that painful?

• Posted

Ive not started putting weight on it yet, im really nervous about doing so. As of tuesday I'll be starting to weight bare. Let me know how you get on wont you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.