Should I have splenectomy for painful cysts?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have had mid left back pain for about a year. All usual back conditions eliminated. They have found splenic cysts. They are assuming these are causing the pain as can’t find anything else wrong with me. Cysts possibly laying on a nerve? I have been told they can’t remove the cysts so I have to decide whether to have my spleen removed. The pain is 24/7 & unbearable & I take a high dose of tramadol, which I can’t do forever. Anyone heard of splenic cysts causing severe back pain? Any advice appreciated thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would as you can live a normal life without a spleen, back pain as bad as you say stops you doing a lot of things in life, hope this h
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. It helps to know I am not alone with these symptoms. I hope things work out for you as well.
  • Posted

I have also had back pain. The cyst was diagnosed 4 years ago. We have monitored it to make sure no growth. But my left side back pain has gotten worse. I didn’t have it removed because I didn’t want to risk surgery or side affects in case they take the spleen. It’s a hard decision. I understand your stress and you are not alone. Hope whatever you decide works for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.