should i have womb removed

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi 2 years next month i had my ovaries removed and huge twisted dermoid tumor.i still have pain,should i ask for womb to be removed ,ive had lots cysts removed  ,my womb lining was 16mm and now is 4mm since polyop were removed ,i am 57 ,also there is cancer in my family,just want anyone to tell me if they feel ok after womb removed and cervix,i had another inner scan of womb done,3weeks ago,was told to lose some weight before op, if i have it done,but i was this weight when i had last op major surgery as well,i will try lose this weight anyways.having put on weight since i was first ill 3years ago,any advice thanks magssmile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problems, I'm 58 had total hysterectomy  via keyhole and vacuum included uterus cervix also ovaries nothing left. Feel fine just starting 4 th week post op. Also 18stone. My weight wasn't an issue because it was endometrial cancer. Had the all clear now so alls well. Taking things easy

if your troubles will be relieved by removal, then it makes sense. Can't say how hot flushes/night sweets will effect you, as you've already lost your ovaries it probably won't change anything.

with all your problems why haven't the medics recommended going for the full job?

hope things go well for you.

lesley x

• Posted

thank you lesley i will go ahead as i already had my ovaries removed and large tumor 2 years ago,open cut surgery 22 staples and i was fine ,thanks for get back to me ,ill keep in touch let you know the outcome tc mags xsmile
  • Posted

Hi Mags

I am now 3 weeks post op after having vaginal hysterectomy to remove womb and cervix and anterior repair (to support bladder).  This was because I had a prolapse of the womb and bladder.  I can honestly say that I have had virtually no pain or discomfort apart from a bit of soreness overnight on the first night. Needed very few pain killers at all.   My only problem is that because I feel so well I am tempted to do too much. Being a very active person normally (walking, running etc) I find the worst thing is the frustration of having to get my partner to do simple things like lifting washing basket etc but I suffered a heavy bleed 2 weeks post op because of overdoing things, so have now slowed down and do very little apart from a daily walk.  

Yesterday I had to have a tooth extracted at the dentist and this was far more painful that the hysterectomy!!

It sounds like with all your problems a hysterectomy could be the answer and if you decide to go down that route all I can say is that for me worrying about it was the worse bit - the actual surgery was a piece of cake!!

Best wishes and keep us all updated.

Shani

xxx

• Posted

thanks shani and megan going back to docs 9th as the surgeon said i had to lose weight,lol,i have spondylosis so its hard to lose weight ,its not over eating,but since i had the tumor taken 2 years ago i have gained weight 16stone omg ,ill let you know ,its nice to chat to woman who have been through this ,i also had cyst removed from kidney and bowel and womb,so best i get rid ,as lot my kin have past with cancer,tc and wish you all well tc magsxbiggrin
    • Posted

also i have been through menopause when i was in my 40s,when i had open surgery 2 yrs ago i had to rest its hard lol but rest hun and ger better fast all the best mags xx
  • Posted

Hi margaret i am 43 and weigh 14 stone 7. I had a total hysterectomy it will be 4 wks next monday. I had a 9.2 cm fibroid removed along with cervix, uterus and fallopian tubes and apart from occasional twinges and tiredness i definitely think its the best thing i have had done. No more heavy periods and pain. I think for your own peace of mind. I did get to a point where they were dobt have a hysterectomy just shrink the fibroid but when i spoke to surgeon and he said the fibroid could come back. I made the decision then and there. Wishing you the best lovely xx
  • Posted

Hey mags dont worry too much about stressing to lose weight. It is best to do it steady and slow that way you will keep it.off. i have struggled with my weight all my life and have tried every diet, diet class and diet pill possible. I was bulimic in my late teens. I would still love to lose a few stone but right now i am concentrating on getting better by eating sensibly and having daily exercise even if it is only 15 - 20 mins walk .Take care lovely and keep us updated xx
    • Posted

still wait to see the surgeon ,i cant walk alot as i have spondylosis ,im try do yogo ,i dont eat alot either ,i have put on weight since being ill 3years ago,anyway ill keep you informed ,wish you well to tc mags smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.