Should I increase the dose?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on 20mg of citalopram for nearly 5 weeks now for anxiety. I've gone through the side effects, nausea and increased anxiety I've not eaten since other than protein shakes and the odd bit of toast. I'm still suffering anxiety particularly on waking and nausea most of the day. Today has been awful and even the beta blockers aren't touching the anxiety.

I'm seriously thinking I need to increase the dose, any advice?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree u need to do something r u still suffering all the side effects 5 weeks in? If so id b inclinded to advise a med change tbh
    • Posted

The nausea is now from my anxiety rather than a side effect I just don't feel like I'm getting any improvement though I do usually get some relief late afternoon and evening, today just been a bad day

• Posted

Snap todays been pants for me to! Id suggest u maybe c ur gp an review the drug
  • Posted

5 weeks is not long enough. You need to give it at least 8-12 weeks before considering an increase or med swap. 
  • Posted

Hi Victoria, I was on 20mg of citalopram for about 7 weeks and saw no improvement and had all the symptoms that you describe too. It was especially bad when i woke up in the morning, but by evening i was slightly calmer....no real help though. I went back to my GP who changed my meds to Mirtrazapine 15mg to be taken at night 30 mins before bedtime and I can honestly say what a difference they made to me, i was able to sleep soundly and my mood improved and my anxiety lessened. I have been on them now for around 15 weeks, some nights i just take half of a tablet.  Im not completely cured i do have the odd wobble and i had one this week as i was away on holiday for a few days and out of my normal routine, so just put my dose back up to 15mg and feeling ok again.

These drugs are not miracle cures and what suits one person may not be right for another, but after 8 weeks if there is no improvement I would defo go back to GP and explain how you are feeling.Take Care

• Posted

Aileen61 did u have and side effects on mitrazapine? Im considering it next if i dont settle on sertraline how long did u take to notice a difference on mitraz
    • Posted

Hi weenett, i didnt have any bad side effects, just a bit sluggish in the morning first thing until I got used to them...they certainly have helped me and I would say within a week I was really feeling the benefit. As i said in my first post I do have the odd blip but it does not last long. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Did u take them for anxiety an dep did they increase ur appitite
    • Posted

i took them for anxiety/stress. I read online that they can increase your appetite but i cant say they did, just was nice to feel better and enjoy my food again after feeling so nauseous on the citalopram.
    • Posted

I think im gonna give these a go i am on sert an cant eat anything its like im full after 3 bites an to eat any more id throw up r u still on them? How long till the lifted your anxiety feelings
    • Posted

Hi weenett, yes im still on them, some nights i just take half of a tablet, but if im feeling a bit of a wobble coming on i take the full tablet again. Im hoping my GP will keep me on them for the forseeable future, although Im much better than i was Im not completely 100% yet. And I found within a week of taking the 15mg my mood was definately improving. Good Luck with whatever you decide x
    • Posted

Im totally asking for these why suffer through god awful side effects if i dont have to?
    • Posted

I hope they work well for you too, please let me know how you get on.x
    • Posted

Im confuused as to how they assess who gets wat coz apparently there a 3rd line choice yet i know 3 people all suggested them for the same issues as me an ive never been offered them
    • Posted

Im not sure how they decide what meds for who, but I suppose you just have to trust their judgement. I was a bit skeptical when he said he was going to put me on Mirtrazapine - as i had never heard of it, but thankfully it has been ok for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.