Should I keep taking a 5 mg prednisone tablet every day I feel like my breathing is worse when take

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on 5 mg of predison for about 2 months will it make your breathing worse I  have copd really bad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A prescribed medication like Prednisone, a steroid, would be used to help reduce inflammation of airways for COPD patients. I don't take it as I have an inhaler for occasional use, but use the nebulizer daily to loosen the mucus build up. When it is more than usual, I take the over-the-counter med "Mucinex". If it is too bad for me to clear the mucus, I see my Dr. and ask for an antibiotic to help me. 

Speak with your Dr. if your current meds are not meeting your needs. Good Luck. 

• Posted

Dear Susan   I have been taking 5mg daily about a year and half.  It has greatly reduced my flare ups  I still get flare ups but not as often as I used to. When I do get flare up the steroids are increased to the 8 tabs for five days and this usually settles things down.  So I would say it works for me.  Good luck

• Posted

5mg of prednisolone daily is a maintenance dose, your doctor prescribes this to help you breathe easier.

Exactly how james80978 describes.

• Posted

If you think your breathing is worse while taking 5mg pred, speak again with your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Susan i have been on 10 mg a day for about two years i have tried to come off them twice before & am going to try again now the weather is changed for the better do try to get off of them if you can but go about it in the right way go to your doctors & they can do it gradely they can give you 2.5 mg & 1mg but do try as predison is a steroid & will give you other issues good luck   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.