Should I my gallbladder removed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was having very intense stomach pains, and was able to link it to eating eggs. I ended up getting a Hida Scan showinf an EF of 82%. I was told I have an overactive gallbladder and it needs to come out. I havent had eggs for 2 mos now and feel perfectly fine. Does anyone know if theres harm in keeping it in? Will I end up with other issues down the road if I dont take my gallbladder out? Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi Lauren,

The decision whether to remove your gallbladder is yours alone to make, but I will share my experience of it with you.

I was diagnosed with gallstones by ultrasound after experiencing a few attacks. My attacks were sporadic and like you, I wondered if I could keep my gallbladder and live with it. I discussed this with several medics before going to see a surgeon and I read a lot about gallbladders. Ultimately, I decided that by not having surgery I was just kicking the issue down the road and that it was better for me to have the surgery whilst my condition was uncomplicated and I was still relatively young and in good health overall. So I went ahead with the surgery 14 months ago and have not looked back.

One of the worst things with gallbladder attacks is the anxiety they cause because you never know when they will strike or what might trigger them. It is such a relief not having that hanging over me any more. My worst and last attack was caused by a tiny piece of avocado which i had previously tolerated well. You need to be aware that whilst eggs seem to have been your trigger so far, other foods could also become triggers.

Speak to your doctor, weigh up the pros and cons and then take a view.

Best of luck with it all.

• Posted

I had mine out two years ago and I've had issues since, I get infections a lot and my immune system is ruined. If you are feeling OK I would. Keep. It personally I had no. Choice I had to get rid of mine, I know lots of people who. Have kept theirs and they don't have pain hardly the professionals will. Tell you that if it's not causing trouble enough then to keep it basically. I know. People who still. Have it and who are fine they stick to a low fat diet and can manage the issues, others are not so lucky I was that one sadly. You notice a difference without it you will not feel the same again you just have to. Live with the consequences 60 percent will be fine 40 percent will not after removal it's hot or miss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.