Should I pay for daytime sleep (nap)test?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.  I had a professional sleep test with the diagnosis of PLMD.  I had fragmented sleep architecture and 69% sleep efficiency.  I am taking Clonazepam for the PLMD and it helped.  However I am still sleepy and tired so I think something else might be going on.  Based on my history the nurse wanted me to take the daytime nap test but my insurance won't pay for it.  It will cost me thousands of dollars to get this test.  Do you think I should pay for it?  I fall asleep very easily and I know I dream during my naps.  I can sleep on the tile floor at work or in the backseat of my car during the workday.  I had 2 naps today even though I slept a full night last night.  The nurse said my night time sleep results don't show narcolepsy.  I just want to feel better but I don't want to waste thousands of dollars I don't have.  Is it worthwhile to get the nap test too?  Are there treatments for narcolepsy that work anyway? Would you recommend I try something else first?  We already tried increasing my Clonazepam and I got sleepier.  I cannot take gabapemtin or miracles or requip.  Thanks 🙏?? 

sleepy in Texas

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane, I don't know anything about the daytime nap test so can't advise you.

I do, however, know that PLMD can go hand-in-hand with narcolepsy, which can be treated (though not cured) fairly effectively with medication. I've no idea whether a daytime nap test would be more effective at turning up narcolepsy than the overnight test. Perhaps you should do more research on this one before committing financially?

I suspect you're also suffering a hangover from the clonazepam, hence the increase in daytime sleepiness when you increased the dose.

As a lifelong hypersomniac, I can sympathise with your problem. Although I have several elements of narcolepsy (but not PLMD) I don't have enough of them to qualify for medication. My diagnosis is simply hypersomnia, which may or may not be classed as related to narcolepsy, depending on which doctor you talk to. Incidentally, my father and several members of his family had the same subset of symptoms, but more severely than me. (My dad twice fell asleep while riding his bike!) I suspect he would probably have qualified as narcoleptic if he was around today.

I hope you can find a solution. I never did, but since I retired from paid employment 7 years ago it's become less of a problem.

• Posted

Hey there.  I don't know much about this specific problem but would just explain to the doctor (if the don't already know) that your insurance will not pay for the test and ask if they can offer any discounts.  Also, before plunking down all that money for another test, I would ask them what they are going to change about your diagnosis and treatment based on the results. If the treatment will change if the test results in a certain outcome, perhaps they might move forward with that treatment even without the test. 

• Posted

A big thank you to those who replied.  I found a neurologist who got my insurance to pay for the nap test.  I am waiting for the results.  All I know is I slept in 4/5 naps and I felt I was dreaming but dont know if it showed up.
    • Posted

Hi Diane

Glad to hear you solved the insurance problem. If you have time, I'd be interested to hear the results, and how your doctors interpreted them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.