Should I peruse this more of give it some time? (Possible Lymphoma)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Patient forums I hope you can help me with a bit of a worry I have at the moment.

I'm 25 years old, quite slim and usually very healthy! I rarely get ill/colds etc and consider myself to have a good diet.

I found a lump on the left side of my neck at the start of June while taking a shower. After feeling around I felt that it was actually a swollen lymph node, with another underneath. Odd because I hadn't been feeling unwell.

I left it for 2 weeks to see if they went down and unfortunately nothing changed, they didn't change in side at all. 

After a trip to see some friends I found the next day I broke out in a cold sore on my lip and began to get a lot of sore swollen glands on my neck, under my chin. I knew I had some sort of bug. The next day I had a lot more in my neck so I thought I should get a check over to put my mind at ease by my GP. 

He confirmed I did have quite a few swollen glands and took into account the one I had on the side of my neck for a month and he sent me for a full blood count. Everything came back releatevely normal on it apart from one marker, so a few days later I was sent for a heamocrit level blood test which came back yestserday apparently in normal ranges and that are fine the nurse telling me the results said.

Now I do not know much on Lymphoma but I would just like to know should my mind be at rest that my blood count levels and haemocrit levels are within normal range or should I ask for a different kind of test?

It just doesn't seem like these two lymph nodes on my left are changing at all and it's a huge worry to me.

I don't really want to talk about it too much with my family so I'd love some advice on here before I go poking the doctor. I'm really just hoping it's nothing to worry about!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi SarahHBN. There are other tests the doc shd do. Thyroid is one. also, glandular fever. Possibly X-rays. or send you to a dermetoligist if those tests don't help. Suggest these things to your doctor.

Harrishill

• Posted

Hey, Sarah, I talked to my granddaughters. They said if you had strep, or even a virus 2 yrs ago, sometimes you can get lumps in your neck 2 yrs later. It happened to both my granddaughters. They said if your doc felt the lumps, he could tell it wasn't serious. So maybe they will go away on their own.

Harrishill

• Posted

Thank you for replying HarrisHill, any reassurance puts my mind at ease!

My GP did have a good feel around my neck and he felt pretty sure they were "just" swollen glands - he even laughed which I'm not sure is a good thing or not! I would assume if it was anything more serious it would increase in size where I don't think it has. Also I would assume my bloods would have some sort of sign in them that something was up if it was a cancer I'd guess.

I think I will keep an eye on it for the next 2 weeks or so and may go for another talk with a different dr if I still have it. It could just be a stubborn swollen gland, I really hope it is smile It's just an awful feeling having it there when it was never there before!

• Posted

Yes, Sarah, my daughter said she was so scared when one daughter had that, and the doc said she had swollen lumps from having had strep 2 yrs before. I am not sure, but yes, maybe it will go away.

Harrishill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.