should i resign ? i am off work with illness

Posted , 3 users are following.

I work in a care home and have been working in care for the past 15yrs, and have developed severe back and spine problems which my gp seems to think i may not be able to carry on the care business and i have been signed off work for 5weeks and now signed off for another 3weeks .

there are no light duties at my place of employment and cannot see how i can ever return there,

Can i therefore resign and claim any benefits etc, ven though i may be able to accept a job sitting down but not many of them about for a 47 yr old .

someone said i should contact a benefits support team to help me through this , is that right ?  in the wilderness here not sure of the best thing to do , any advice please 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol.Sorry to hear how things are.  I would have thought that if you feel that bad you  have no choice but to say you cannot work and they have to help you. Surely a disability allowance at least? This can come to about £80 a week.
    • Posted

Thanks Carmel , i am going to see the benefits office in the next few days see what they say, some one said i need the help of a benifits support team so better call and see if thats correct
  • Posted

I've no idea if it'll help, but I remember looking at an organisation called Salus a couple of years back. I was specifically looking with regards to getting a physio through them, but I do remember that the dealt with lots of aspects of helping people get back to work. I suspect they can offer you some help and/or advice.

We can't post links here, but type in salus dot co dot uk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.