Should I risk taking Atorvastatin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was prescribed Atorvastatin some months ago. Having read several online articles I am reluctant to take it. All my family have high cholesterol and I was told my risk factor of either a stroke or heart attack was 8% I took them for a few days and then stopped. I am 63 and feel generally healthy. So far none of my family have had heart problems except my 96 year old father in the last year or so. Any advice would be welcome.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you only have an 8% risk – that means you have a 92% chance of NO problems!  Statins can have serious side effects – such as muscle pain and deterioration, memory and cognitive function loss, liver damage, the list goes on.  They really should only be taken by those with a very significant risk factor or those with a history of heart episodes/strokes etc., and not handed out like sweeties to everyone who walks through the door.  This happened with things like antibiotics until it was finally realised that blanket prescribing was definitely not an intelligent option.  Considering that your family history is good regarding heart disease and you are otherwise healthy, for heavens sake don’t risk your health by taking these toxic drugs.
  • Posted

well Janine your dad has done well to get to that age    I could hardly raise my arms ..or walk upstairs while I was taking atoravistatin   or any of the other statins for that matter.  some people seem to be ok  them but an awful lot of people have terrible side effects... Remember  every organ in your body needs cholesterol, statins definately lower cholesterol....but at what risk...I've been wondering too if we are taking statins and our cholesterol is down to 4..or 5...then if we stop the statins our body starts making more cholesterol...could it be that our body knows best

• Posted

Hi Janine, I completely agree with Loxie and Lisa. The body needs cholesterol and the statins can cause some horrendous side effects. I refused them when my GP offerered them to me. I eat a healthy diet and have given up smoking. They are offered too readily in my opinion. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I was rather surprised to have been prescribed a statin although my cholesterol was high at over 10.  I wish now I hadn't had it checked at all as it is playing on my mind.  I have never been a hypochondriac but everytime I get a slight twinge I'm wondering "is it my heart?  is it indigestion?"  I would like to know whether any research has been carried out on hereditary high cholesterol.

• Posted

Janine, I completely understand your concerns (I'm the same, a worrier) I was recommended a very informative and helpful site on YouTube called "Statin Nation" go and have a watch when you have time, you will be glad you did smile 

• Posted

Hi Janine,

its a worry i understand.  I was told it's the ratio as well so if some people have a low total reading but have low good cholesterol it's as bad as a higher one with more good cholesterol.  I too wish I never knew my readings.  In 2010 I was pre meno and used to have Friday chip shop treat, and didn't worry as much as now plus didn't exercise my total was 6.5 good cholesterol was v good at 2.8 go forward 2014 cholesterol was 8.5 post meno by three years whigh I swear affects lady's readings due to no oestrogen tons of exercise every day fast cycling for minimum an hour.  I took statins March 2014 because of the reading insidiously I felt ill but didn't put two and two together.  Six months of simvastatin and I had severe muscle loss all over my body, terrible leg cramps and pain going up hill, depression, no energy cycling and had to ck level checks, crp level checks and lost nine pound in one week of muscle.  My neighbour commented about my loss of weight.  I came off the statins and a week later put nine pound back on.  I hadn't rotator cuff problems and developed calcium in the tendon and had impingement, the muscles either side of my neck are still not built up.  I wish I'd never known the reading like you and worry about the health of my heart but there's nothing we can do we can't take the statins and we exercise and cut foods that are bad for us out, but we still worry.  I read that statins don't work for women and I truly believe that exercise makes our cholesterol go up as we need it to repair muscles.   Interestingly sedentary people seem to have lower cholesterol whom I know.   My cholesterol went down to 4 on statins but only 1 point of it was bad cholesterol and I don't think I had enough bad cholesterol at that time I think I would of died had I not twigged what was doing it.  Just do the best you can Janine and chat to people about worrying.  I think the older we get it stands to reason we worry about health confused

• Posted

Sorry I wish you could edit posts.  I meant a lower reading but with no good cholesterol.  My husbands was 4.5 in 2010 but he only had 1.2 good I had 2.8 good cholesterol so his ratio wasn't as good.

• Posted

Sue, please watch Statin Nation (as my above post) It's a real eye opener and will help your peace of mind.

• Posted

Gosh Sue, you have had some awful reactions to statins.  It makes me so angry that these awful drugs seem to be prescribed willy nilly.
    • Posted

Thanks Pat I just read it.  Like it said on there lowering bad cholesterol caused some heart attacks.  Also the COQ10 I think it was I reckon mine was none existent with statins.  
    • Posted

Enjoy your Dad Janine, that's the best medicine.  He's still here and that's a good sign for you. 

I still bike everyday muscles have come back except my neck and one shoulder and upper arm.  

Were aware of our health aren't we and we do try that's all we can do x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.