Should I see another doctor?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I suspect I have a pinched nerve. I have a tense inflamed kind of feeling on the left side of my neck that gets worse if I lift things or even have my back up against a pillow. The tense feeling will cause discomfort up the back of my head in the back of my left eye.

I also have shooting pain in several areas in my left arm and hands. Not enough to make me scream but theyre irritating. A few weeks ago I had severe hand numbness, pain in several fingers and a weak arm which occured only on one day and I eventually slept it off. He dismissed this as a one off incident. Come to think of it he never asked me how long ive had all of these symptoms for (6 months), which I only thought as I was leaving the building.

The doctor pinched my upper arm and asked me if I felt pain, I didnt. He then said the neck pain is probably a muscle strain. He gave me gel to apply to it.

Should I just use the gel and then go back since this probably isnt going to work or should I immediately see another doctor instead?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am a retired physician and I had similar symptoms years ago which I recognized and referred myself to a neurosurgeon and had surgery soon after. It sounds like you have an herniated disc in your cervical spine. You need to have an MRI or at least a CT of your c spine. The gel might help numb it but if you end up with nerve damage or spinal chord damage, it may never heal. Get another opinion ASAP. Numbness and paresthesias are very important symptoms and should be addressed. I am disappointed that your doctor dismissed this. This does not sound at all like a muscle strain. Ask this doctor which muscle is strained and how you might have strained it and how a muscle strain causes numbness. BTW, change doctors!
    • Posted

Right on John! So many doctors are not knowledgeable about these types of health issues and do more harm than good. I live with nerve damage neuropathy and chronic pain. Nerve conduction test might be a good idea also. My beat wishes are with you.
  • Posted

Try the gel because you don’t actually know for sure whether or not it will work unless you give it a go.  Only see another doctor or your usual doctor if the gel doesn’t work.  Your doctor will want to know if the treatment helped so he can decide what to do next..  Persevere with the gel for a few weeks; it can take up to eight weeks for a muscle strain to heal if that’s what you have.  Follow your doctor’s recommenations.
  • Posted

A muscle strain heals in 4 to 8 weeks, not six months, and is not associated with numbness and paresthesias. I think your doctor may be an idiot. Fire him unless he orders an MRI ASAP. You can try the gel as Pippa suggested but even if it helps a little and if you have a pinched nerve and nerve damage it may never heal and you might lose sensation and/or strength. Do not wait a few weeks. Persevering is not appropriate. You need treatment unless there is something you are not telling us.
  • Posted

Hi, I appreciate your answers.

I have been applying the gel since Monday and it does numb the area however the pain in my eye, head and arms still remain. Once the gel wears off I still feel a huge amount of pressure near the c1-c3 area of my neck. Ill keep going with this gel but it frustrates me because I dont want something that covers up the issue, I want to eliminate the source of the problem.

Ill add that the doctor ordered a blood test that I went in for today because a year ago I was deficient in vitamin b12 which the doctor said can cause arm pain though i dont believe thats the issue since everything seems to be on left side. Nerves near the c1-c3 also lead to the head and eyes so it makes sense to me that it could be a pressed nerve from a bulging disc or herniated disc etc.

I havent felt more depressed since that meeting with the doctor on monday. Im someone who is nervous when it comes to going to the doctor and explaining issues. It took me a lot to go in for these issues and I felt like I wasnt being taken seriously. I remember at one point he said you dont really find huge neck issues in people my age (25). I just felt like he wanted to prescribe me medication and send me on my way. I do realize im being slightly bias because there has to be a process of elimination but he wasnt sympathic about my issues at all.

• Posted

It is somewhat difficult to become deficient in Vitamin B 12. Was this confirmed with a blood test? B 12 deficiency can be associated with a generalized peripheral neuropathy. Were you treated and if so, how? A generalized peripheral neuropathy is different from what you are describing. Your symptoms are very specific and localized. I need to be blunt at this point. Your doctor is a moron. Your initial question was - should I see another doctor? The answer is yes. If you simply want to make posts on this site and do nothing, good luck. 

SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR!

• Posted

Yes the deficiency was confirmed with a bloodtest. At the time my symptoms were tiredness, breathlessness and pain in arms. I took a course of tablets and the symptoms diminished. Im not feeling those symptoms again so I dont think its the vit b12 at all.

Also yes, I will definitely be seeing another doctor, I just came here for advice.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Yes and run don’t walk! You need to identify what your health issue is and I encourage you to get to a neurologist ASAP. In the meantime, don’t do any physical activity, sports, exercise, strenuous responsibilities until you have a true diagnosis as you can and will do great harm to yourself. Listen to John’s advise he is right on. I have neuropathy from nerve damage and have had every procedure, fusion surgery, tens implant and still have had to turn to opiate medication to control the chronic pain I live with 24/7. This situation you are in can be life altering, fight like crazy to get the best drs and correct information you can the quality of your life depends on the choices you make now. Pain drs can be of service to you also. Advice from physical therapist about the drs they know of that do good work is how I found a wonderful dr for my pain mangement and they have the knowledge and can perform the procedures that might help you. You are in a difficult journey and I send my best wishes and some hugs your way. Oh, just thought of another bit of advice that might help you. The internet is full information, ie charts of the human spine and the nerves that affect your limbs, organs. These are very helpful as they can confirm where the pain you are feeling is coming from. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.