Should I see both a Psychiatrist and Psychologist at the same time???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I've been to a psychiatrist but the only thing he seems to do is diagnose me and immediately prescrube meds. I do not think there is going to be much talking about my problem and feelings and what other steps besides medication I can take to make me feel better.

From what I've heard the job of a psychologist is to talk about your problems and help you cope with anxiety.

So what do you guys think?

Do you guys see both a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

How is this suppose to work? I'm new to this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have posted this before

YES one prescibes meds the other you discuss your problems etc with

You can see them at the same time its part of your treatment

Lil

• Posted

Normally, psychiatrists and counselors/psychologists work hand in hand because one can't prescribe medication. So yes, see both if you plan to take meds and do counseling.
  • Posted

Yes Psychiatrists are brain chemistry experts, they are the only ones who can diagnose certain conditions and often prescribe meds. That's theirs role. Talking therapies are done with therapists,so it's often recommended to see both together
  • Posted

Ok, thanks for your replies. I will discuss it with my psychiatrist and arrange to see one of the psychologists there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.