Should I see my Doctor

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started a calorie controlled (low carb) diet and about about five weeks ago with lots of fruit and vedge - about two weeks in I had a bout of constipation so I introduced bran flakes for breakfast which seemed to help and everything seemed to get back to normal - eleven days ago I woke up with an excruciating pain in my left side - I thought I had pulled a muscle and  it was so bad I had to take pain killers since then I have been waking up at about 5am with the pain which continues till about lunchtime and then turns to a dull ache till it starts all over again. My bowels movements swing between urgent need to go and constipated but to be honest I have no appetite so there is not much going in - Dr Google thanks it could be Diverticulitus.

I called my surgery on Monday and was given a none urgent appointment for next Tuesday - but to be honest i am starting to worry as the symptoms are not showing any sign of getting any better - My question is should I see my doctor more quickly or am i OK to wait

until Tuesday evening - In the meantime can anyone recommend a diet that might help with my symptoms until then.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Susan, but in the meantime the usual treatment for Diverticulitis is to stick to fluids only and NO fibre.  So broth, chicken soup, and if you can take dairy, meal replacement drinks, yogurt, tea, coffee and water.
  • Posted

Hi, 

When you have a bowel movement do you have any blood or mucus? It does sound like it could be diverticulitis . I had my first attack whilst on holiday in Florida and it was similar to what you are describing. I ended up in the Emergency Room! I would try and get an earlier GP appointment as you may need to get started on antibiotics 

Best wishes Angie 

• Posted

Hello, after having a very stressful three months at begining of the year,and a colonoscopy finding diverticulitis,I started on a diet of not eating any nuts,skins,seeds or pips,wheat or fibre no bananas no sweet corn and I only eat carrots, I have a really good 5 months I hope this is down to my change of diet, not sure if this is of any help to you, good luck and I hope you get sorted out soon. Oh p.s. I don't eat currants ,which is a nuisance because I love toasted tea cakes.🙋

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.