Should i seek medical attention or is it my anxiety?! over dose serious side effect?! help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to the ER for a horrible headache. MRI and CT scan came back clear and they diagnosed me with migraines. the doctor that saw me in the ER then prescribed me with Norco (Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen 5/325) 1 tablet every 4 hours as needed for pain.

I went to the pharmacist and i let her know that the ER doctor gave me this medication and the reason was for my migraines. She seemed confused and let me know that this is a muscle relaxer mixed with tylenol. The tylenol might help me a little with my headache but to not expect too much from it. she also suggested to talk to my PCP before taking it because it wouldnt really help my migraines.

I took one at 5:00 pm and felt a little better, but not so much. 4 hours passed and I took another one and OH MY GOD THE MEDICATION HIT ME. i've never taken a muscle relaxer before. I have taken promethazine codeine and i do remember experiencing slow breathing because i was so relaxed. 

but once this medication hit me, i knew it did because i was so dizzy and lightheaded (which are common side effects). I also read online that it can slow your breathing but I need to know if this is true because now i'm totally freaking out!! am i dying? did i over dose? am i going to seize or pass out because i feel this way? the more i focus on my breathing the more i freak out about it and the more i worry that this is not normal!

has anyone ever taken a muscle relaxer or even this medication and experienced slow breathing and heart rate? last time i checked my heart rate it was 63 bpm. is this normal with this muscle relaxer?!

im trying to see who to contact about these side effects but i dont use the pharmacy from the hospital. so they're closed at the moment and they didnt provide me with a phone number. and the hospital only tells me to call 911! 

has anyone had the same symptoms as me while takign a muscle relaxer and is it normal? (slow breathing, slow heart rate). or is my anxiety getting he best of me? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You are perfectly fine. It may make your anxiety worse but it's just the Norco part. It's relaxes you. It may even put you to sleep. Before I started having bad anxiety when I was younger I used to take them for the high and would take a lot more than that. I'm 5'5 and 145 pounds. It will make you really tired. I even took so much I would throw up and still feel good. You have to take A lot to overdose. I promise you'll be okay.
    • Posted

ahh thank you! so the slow breathing and heart rate is normal and part of the relaxation? 
    • Posted

Plus the ones I took were 100 percent hyrdocodone. I used to take oxycotin 80s. I would feel super high, throw up, and eat. Those are the STRONGEST pills you can get. You are completely safe. Unless you have an allergic reaction which is highly unlikely from what you are saying. You are fine. (:
    • Posted

Absolutely. Your heart rate is fine as well. How old are you?

My normal HR rests in the high 50s low 60s

• Posted

Thank you for putting me at ease smile 

I am 22 years old. I figured with the slow breathing it would of also slowed down my heart rate. My body is also kind of sensitive to medication. With my anxiety i was prescribed with xanax and to take it as needed. the doctor gave me 0.5 mg and from a lot of people i've heard thats nothing. but for me, it knocks me right out 

• Posted

I know the feeling and it could also be a placebo effect. I take ativan and I'm perscibed 0.5 and I take only half of that. If you need to you can message me. I'm sure you'll be just fine. :P
  • Posted

I think that hydrocodien is still in the opiate family. I would look that up. And opiates can definalty slow down your breathing. It would take a lot to actually overdose but then again everyone is different and you may be more sensitive to it.But you need to talk to your doctors and maybe get on something milder or something for actual migraines. Also anxiety can cause you to have migranes. So if the meds are making you feel this way I wouldn't take them and maybe see if you can get something better. I know the feeling i have took a lot of drugs in my day some for the right reason some for the wrong and the anxiety can definalty make you focus more on those side effects. But I would try something different and you need to figure out what is triggering these migranes. Bc it could be your anxiety. Or tension headaches. Get a 2nd opinion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.