Should I seek out addition cataract surgeon advice ??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had cataract surgery in my left eye in April 2018.  I chose multifocal lens. It was not inserted correctly, and 6 wks later had to go back in for a correction.  Now all is well.  In late May I went in for cateract surgery on right eye, inserting multifocal lens.  I am seeing somewhat clear far away and intermediate, but all is fuzzy for the nearsightedness.  After 3-week checkup, doctor says this is normal if both eyes are working "in tandum" ...  but right eye seems "off"  I don't know whether to believe her or not or do I need to see another doctor.  After her first screw=up, I'm concerned!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did your surgeon tell you reason first surgery was off due to IOL being inserted incorrectly?

If you do not have to pay for a 2nd opinion then yes it might be worth your while.

While some people see clearly right away after surgery others don’t see clearly until the drop regiment is over - about 6 week mark.  Your eye could still be healing and drops affecting your best vision.

You could wait the 6 weeks and then see an optometrist to get an exact prescription of where your eyes are at.  This would give you an Indication if it is a refraction error or you have astigmatism (surgery itself can cause that).  If at that point your vision isn’t satisfactory I would seek out another surgeon for another opinion.  

Does the surgeon who implanted your multifocals include any follow-up (necessary adjustments) in cost of your surgeries?   Also what type of multifocal lenses did you get.

Hoping it all works out.

• Posted

The lens is the ACR Sof IQ ReStor by Alcon. 

If she was willing to go back in, it would go to Medicare.  But, she's not

willing to go back in on right eye even tho she admitted it was a "little" off!

I think I'll give it 2-3 more weeks and go get another opinion.   I just wondered if her not adjusting it is the right thing to do!  Seems to me it should be

"right on" ...

Thanks Sue. An!!

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that your outcome wasn't what you hoped for.  I'm curious, could you elaborate on "not inserted correctly"?  What were the symptoms, and how was it corrected?  Did she have to reopen the incision?

I'm curious because I recently had a multi focal inserted in my left eye.    My distance vision is not clear, daytime and particularly at night.  When I went for the follow up my doctor said it may be due to astigmatism, and he prescribed glasses to see if they help with the blurriness.  This isn't intended to be a permanent solution, it's just to see if it helps.

Which multifocal do you have?   If I recall correctly, some are optimized to correct near / distance, and other types intermediate / distance.

I would definitely get a second opinion if you don't see any improvements in the next several weeks.   At 3 weeks it is possible you are still adjusting.

• Posted

Thanks Mary.  The left eye is fine - but she did have to go back in and really adjust it.  The right eye (surgery 3 wks ago) she said yesterday was a "little off" but that should not matterif I could see well enough when both eyes are open!  Seems to me it should be adjusted to be "straight on" - not a "little off"  I does hinder my up close reading.

• Posted

Sorry - I have the ACR Sof iQ Restore lens by Alcon.  I'm supposed to see distance, mid vision (computer, etc_ and up close with this multifocal lens!.

• Posted

You have lost confidence in your surgeon, IMHO tithe only way to restore confidence is to get a second opinion frtan unaffiliated surgeon. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.