Should I seek second opinion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I had an ultrasound screening of my thyroid about a little over a month ago. The doctor discover 2 nodules in my thyroid, one on the left lobe which is 8.4 centimeters and the second nodule in the center of the isthmus. The biopsy report came back begni, thank God! But because of the size and location, the surgeon recommended to remove the nodule. I am nervous about going thru with the surgery after reading about possible complications and taking the medication. Before the thyroid complications, my GP discovered I had an infection called HPylori. I also had problems involving fatty liver disease. But since I've lost 45lbs, I believe that's under control. My questions is, should I seek an second opinion or go thru with the surgery? Also my little brother take synthroid due to hypothyroidism since birth, and my grandpa also has a goiter due to hyperthyroidism

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun i had the same last year and had half my thyroid removed and felt so much better since having it done and i havent needed any medication so far xx
  • Posted

Are you ill?  Do you get symptoms of either over active or under active thyroid?  Do th nodules affect your throat, giving you a choking feeling?  

If the answers to all of those are no, then I don't personally think you should do anything.  If you are ill, then look into what the prognosis would be if you did get the surgery.  It is probably worth seeking an extra opinion if you are unsure and you are getting symptoms.

Many people do get benign nodules removed for various reasons, but if you are not ill then I see no reason to.

I had my whole thyroid removed, because of Graves Disease, and also a parathyroid adenoma removed.  I am on thyroxine for the rest of my life now and find it difficult to get exactly the right dosage.  I tend to go too high or too low...so hoping soon I will have it exact.

• Posted

Hi Kayla, I just had my whole thyroid removed 2days ago. Don't be scared to go through surgery, it's nothing and before u know it, it's done. I was a lil nervous but my doctor said, u will feel even better after the surgery. True to that, I felt really awesome now. Don't let what people say scare you, some people will put fear in you with their crazy comment. If you had to get it out, pls do. I bet u one thing, before and after the surgery u wouldn't remember nothing. I had mine just 2days ago, talk to me if you have any question. Am here to answer every single question of yours. Goodluck and don't forget I said, ask anything

And I will reply you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.