Should I skip medication tonight?? Asthma getting in way.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm 18 and I have 13 birth defects. I take about 5 pills, a rescue and regular inhaler, glaucoma eyedrops, and miralax. The pills I take are spintex(birth control), vitamin D3, Montelukast, Omerprazole, and Cyproheptad. I'm also now taking Azithromycin tablets for inflamed lymph nodes and every once in a while I take an over the counter laxative(for IBS).

The point is, is I'm having a hard time swallowing my pills now. I had an asthma attack a few days ago after chasing after my puppy. I did what I was told and took two puffs of my ventolin(rescue) inhaler. That night, I had no trouble swallowing my meds. However, it has been a few days and the indecisive weather is causeing my asthma to worsen so much where I can't take my pills, I already missed a night of birth control due to being scared of chocking. Should I skip them again for the second night in a row and the proceed to call my doctor the next day? I can't do it tonight as their office closed.

I am very scared and concerned. I really do hate missing a dose of meds...

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

NEVER skip meds!!! Unless a doctor tells you it’s okay. Call their on-call person. Lots of places have them. Or try taking your pills in pudding or applesauce or even yogurt. Stick one pill on the spoon with whatever your choice was and just swallow. It’s a go to health care workers do for people who have trouble swallowing pills.

Skipping meds can make them not as effective as most meds build up in your body and skipping for a few days and taking them again is basically the same as never having them before as far as your body is concerned.

• Posted

Is there a reason for the difficulty of swallowing or do you have dry mouth? Are you taking too many at one  time? If you are afraid of chocking  have someone with you while you take them  or skip them one more night, and don’t get all lovey  dovey 💕for a while

• Posted

You might cut them in half  and hide them in apple sauce  or something else.

BUT if the problem is the muscles  of swallowing, do not take them, and call Dr. On. Monday. Only you can know how difficult and scary. use your inhaler regularly too. Without  taking  your birth control pills,there is something else you must not do, but you probably don't feel like doing that while your breathing  is worse😇

• Posted

Hello Sara I was told I have asthma and on 3 inhalers breathing tablet lansoprazole 30 mg my peak flow was 300 when asthma was good droping to 120 when bad put on steroids 40mg per day I researched magnesium and calcium started taking 400 mg magnesium citrate & calcium 400mg per day peakflow went up to 520

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.