Should I start medication if my T4 is 5.2?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've noticed that most experiences show rather big numbers for T4. Mine is 5.2 but it was 4.6 in April and 3.2 last year -so it is climbing up.

I don't know my TSH etc. Out of all the symptoms I've got only extreme fatigue. I've been under stress for quite a while and though my GP agrees that stress can cause fatigue but she insists that increasing T4, now being over the norm, should be dealt with so I would need to start 50 mcg of levothyroxine.

Please need your advise -should I wait a bit longer and hope for the next blood test to be normal or should I start taking tablets before it's got worse?

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I meant TSH not T4 in my previous post.

Anybody can advise please?

• Posted

I would start taking it - it looks like you have the condition - my TSH level was 6.2 and I started on 25mcg, which increased to 50mcg as I didn't improve. I still felt bad and my next result was 4.8 but the doctor still increased my dosage to 75mcg. My TSH level seems to have stabilised a little now, it's at 2.51.

I would listen to your doctor's advice - it's not nice for it to get worse - believe me - my dad wasn't diagnosed for months because he had some of the rarer symptoms such as gruff voice and painful/numb hands and eventually couldn't even walk to the bathroom - he had to crawl.

Unfortunately I have inherited the condition from him!

Good luck.

• Posted

if i remember correctly, ref ranges are 0.2 -2.5 and the higher the result the more underactive, my initial result was 50.2! you are borderline, request another test in 6 months time, are you symptomatic?
  • Posted

My level is 4.3 but my doctor won't help because my autoimmune system is ok he says i have to up as far as 10 before he even thinks about giving me tablets. Which is crap as i have been feeling fatigued and depressed for over a year. Does anyone know if a traumatic event can cause this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.