Should I start Methotrexate .

Posted , 14 users are following.

My wife was recently diagnosed with RA by rheumatologist after blood test, x rays of both wrist and MRI of left wrist to confirm. 

She was taking levothyroxine for 6-8 years. Some how her HYPOTHYROIDISM slowly turned into HYPERTHYROIDISM, (may be because of autoimmune disease) and now she takes methimazole to treat hyperthyroidism. 

She had total knee replacement surgery in 2008 for right knee and in 2017 for left knee. 

Other than mild bilateral wrist pain she is in good health. No other RA symptoms.  

She is 66 years old,does regularly yoga and stretching exercise. 

Dr is suggesting methotrexate 10mg once a week to start with,increase to 20mg down the road along with Biologicals. 

I am retired pharmacist by the way. Our daughter is physician and strongly suggest to start methotrexate to minimize damage. 

Myself and my wife are very reluctant to start such a strong medications. 

Any suggestion and inputs will be greatly appreciated. 

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,  So sorry to hear of your wife’s diagnosis!  I was diagnosed in 2005, I was in such pain I thought my life was over!  I was put on prednisone, methotrexate, leufonamide and Humira.  I got my life back!  I am now just on Humira and feel good, very little pain.  My doctor told me it needs to be treated aggressively in the beginning to stop the joint damage and then you can back off and see how it goes.  I was very worried but I am so glad I followed his advice!  If the medication shortens my life at least I lived it pain free while I was here!  By the way I am now 69 years young!  Good luck to both of you!
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone for a quick response. Going to see primary physician to discuss and get his opinion too. Luckily my wife has very little pain in both wrist so far which is manageable. 
  • Posted

Not a big fan of methotrexate. The long term side effects are not really worth it. I was diagnosed with RA in 2014 and it was dreadful. Gradually I am back to my old self although it started in my hip and that will eventually need replacing - but it is getting stronger so surgery isn't necessary just yet. I am down to paracetamol twice a day and a half to one meloxicam. My symptoms have naturally subsided while I radically altered my diet and stuffed in 5000 mg of omega 3 daily to stop stiffness.

I don't want these ridiculously strong drugs. You have to find out what type of RA you have and how to manage it.

• Posted

I was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 62   with RA. So , like your wife, I ve had to come to terms with both the diagnosis and the meds. I totally agree with your daughter to  take the methotrexate to hold back progression of the disease which can cause not only joint damage but also affect heart, lungs and other parts of the body. It also can cause huge fatigue because of the autoimmune reaction ( was the hypothyroidism linked with the auto immune condition Hashimotos?)

Methotrexate for RA is very much weaker dose  than when it is used for cancer chemotherapy. You have to have regular blood tests to check liver function. This is the go to drug to begin with and is generally effective. I did not have side effects.

The trouble is you don't know how aggressive the disease will be at the beginning. Only in the wrists sounds hopeful. But mine started in a shoulder , knee and thumb. Within 6 months I was very badly affected and taking highest dose of mxt sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine. Fortunately I qualified for a biologic ( I m in uk) which has totally controlled it and brought me remission. I say that to encourage you to engage with treatment not to scare. The NICE guidelines encourage early diagnosis and aggressive treatment in the early stages. I am sure this early diagnosis for your wife and treatment prescribed will benefit.

kind regards

• Posted

I have only taken 2 doses of methorexate, so can't really tell yet how it's working. But on reading side effects of methorexate and meloxicam. I chose methorexate. I have never read such side effects that meloxicam can cause, which is a risk of blindness. So I guess choose? As others have said and your daughter included, it's wise to do something. Why spend what's left of your life in pain?

• Posted

My wife saw her primary doctor recently. He advised her also to start methotrexate and said majority of patients tolerate well. So she is going to start tomorrow night. 

I sincerely appreciate for encouraging words from all of you. 

• Posted

I think pharmacists are very knowledgeable. Sometimes you can get the best advice there. But I would like to know why he said this. Did you ask him? Could you find out his reasons? Also your new doctor, what did he/she give you in place of it? Will the dr. tell you why he/she took you off them? Thanks....
    • Posted

Sorry I meant that message to go to Tammyshernia

dix

• Posted

I was on it for about 3 yrs and I was also on another med she took me down to 1 tab of that my new dr put me on orencia but it made me feel like I had the flu my pharmacist also told me there have been many deaths from methotrexate 
  • Posted

Well I tell you what my pharmacist said to me ...pharmacist...I can’t tell you not to take this med but I can tell you if a dr prescribed this for my wife or mother I wouldn’t let them ...well I decided to take it awhile but I took 6 1 time a week...I went to a different Dr and she took me off  immediately 
    • Posted

I think pharmacists are very knowledgeable. Sometimes you can get the best advice there. But I would like to know why he said this. Did you ask him? Could you find out his reasons? Also your new doctor, what did he/she give you in place of it? Will the dr. tell you why he/she took you off them? Thanks....
    • Posted

I’m not sure he said he couldn’t tell me not to take it like I said but I lost a lot of hair it got very thin from methotrexate now that I’m not on it my hair is growing back it’s almost like chemo drug
    • Posted

Thanks, I didn't know about malaria, but it's a cancer fighting also?

• Posted

Thanks, I didn't know about malaria, but it's a cancer fighting also?

• Posted

That’s why I lost a lot of my hair ...and you can look it up they used it for malaria 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.