Should I Start on Venlafaxine?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

I met with a psychiatrist a few days ago and he offered to prescribe me Venlafaxine, 37.5mg for two weeks and 75 mg after that. I was all set to follow through on it but am having second doubts after reading the forums here. I'm getting a sense from you guys that this drug is to be avoided at all costs.

I'm currently in long-term therapy but haven't seen much improvement. I'm generally fairly functional, but am lethargic most days and wake up with a feeling of dread more often than not. I'm able to get by in graduate school, but skip a lot of readings and find myself dragging my body to get out of the house. I feel like I want to get involved with so many more things but my helplessness and anxiety keep weighing me down!

I want to get better, but I'm scared of the dependency, withdrawal, and side-effects of this drug. I would love to hear some of your inputs.

Robbie

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine since last July. It didn't take me long to feel much bettet after my psychiatrist found the meds that worked for me. I am happier than I have been in years and sleep better too. For me venlafaxine seems like a magic potion. I had never dealt with major depressive disorder before last year. I had never felt so awful in my life. Major depression takes over your life and robs you of any enjoyment in anything or anyone. I know what works for one may not work for someone else, but I am so grateful to feel the way I do now. I hope you find what will give you your life back. Let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Thank you for your story, Phyllis. I guess despite all the negative side-effects, the drug really can make a difference. My concern is that my depression is partially debilitating. I can still get on with my life, but feel like a chunk of it is missing. Not sure if Venlafaxine is worth trying in that case.
    • Posted

I was almost completely nonfunctioning when my MDD set in. I didn't want to do anything or see anyone. My husband had to coax me just to go to the grocery store. I even thought going to the doctor was a waste of time. I had to be forced to do anything at all. Now I am so grateful that I had people in my life who did things for me I wouldn't do for myself. My condition then was treatment resistant, and that is why I am on such a high dose. I do feel great now though. For me personally, I think the side effects are well worth it to be happy.

Let me know how you make out. I hope you will find the meds that work best for you.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

That's nice you had people around you. Part of my issue is that I've kind of isolated myself. Luckily I'm still functional, but the isolation is really lonely at times and I sometimes either don't have the willpower to go out or have too much anxiety to interact with others.

I'm curious, what do you mean by your condition being treatment resistant? Did you try different kinds of therapy? Or medications?

• Posted

Hi Robbie, I have been on 150mg recently, went cold turkey coming off them whic I do not recommend, my con advised this and the withdrawal was so bad, I thought I was dying, I am on duloextine now, feel do much on this medication, venfkafaxine was not the drug for me it made me worst to be honest. It's hard to decide what to do for the best, I think the more you read sometimes the worst it is to make a decision, go with how you feel, give it a chance it may suit you, if not try another, not all drugs suit everyone.

• Posted

I agree that reading more can make the decision harder. Surprisingly, this discussion actually fills me with more optimisim as compared to the others on this board.

I appreciate hearing your story. Going cold turkey sounds difficult, btu what's the other option if the drug doesn't work for you? It's frustrating because if you find out Venlafaxine isn't the right fit, seems like you're stuck on it for at least a few months tapering off. Such a commitment.

• Posted

I had the same thing. Did 37.5 for a week and now 75. I'm doing OK. Don't be scared by the forums. It works for people. Previous comment is right...why post positive feedback on the drug and ask for support? I'm less than a month in and it's possible to make it thru. Good luck xx

• Posted

Glad to hear from someone going through the process and who's not totally turned off. If you're open, I'd love to hear about your experience - why you decided to go on it, how the side-effects have been, and if you've started feeling some of the benefits.

• Posted

Hi Robbie,

Effexor does have a tough discontinuation syndrome but is a good medicine. Did your doctor suggest an SSRI such as Lexapro or Zoloft at first? You should do something-medicine, therapy bot both. You deserve to feel better! Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks, Elissa. I'm in therapy and actually just took my first 37.5 mg Venlafaxine capsule. We'll see hot it goes.

Interestingly my doctor didn't suggest Lexapro or Zoloft at first. His reasonsing was that since I tend to feel lethargic and unmotivated at time, Venlafaxine would be a better fit than one of the SSRIs.

• Posted

Hello,

I will try to give you as unbiased view as possible - but I feel that many of the good reviews of it are those who haven't tried to come off it before.

I have been on venlafaxine for around a year and upped regularly until I was on 150mg. Anxiety etc was okay, still not fine but okay. I was numb to most emotions which can feel preferable compared to depression and anxiety.

What the doctors will not tell you, is how hard it is to get off. I have been weaning down very gradually for around 2 months now and am still not close. Experiencing horrific mental and physical withdrawals, only just starting to get my own emotions back.

Weigh up what you need right now, but bear in mind you may have these problems down the line. Forums like these will tell you what pharmaceutical companies won't.

Best of luck x

• Posted

Hi roxanneea,

You have been on venlafaxine for around a year. That is not usually enough to complete the first lap of stabilizing the symptoms. It takes 1.5 - 2 years on average to make the symptoms begin to withdraw and for the brain to start to unwind. Then it can take another year or two for the last of stubborn symptoms to completely subside. Once you reach the point where you have none of the symptoms you originally poresented with is when you have reached a peak. This needs to be followed by at least 6 months maintenance therapy with no dosage changes (a year or two is better depending on the severity of your original presenting condition). Then the taper can start, with 37.5 mg drops spaced a minimum 3 months apart. No dosage reductions in case of any upheavals until you are stable and symptom free for at least 3 months (sometimes up to 9 months).

If you are being followed by a GP, you have been cheated out of actually treating your condition as opposed to just managing it. You are withdrawing too soon or too fast or both. If you have been followed by a psychiatrist - you likely need a new one.

I have done years of research on this, starting with my own experience and followed by exchange with numerous people on this drug. If done correctly, coming of the drug is not that daunting.

A lot of people on here have been really cheated by doctors who dismiss this drug's potency and its complexity. It requires patience.

Just the fact that you have been on it a year and have not yet reached the point where you are well means that you should either have stuck on it, upped the dose or, if withdrawal was necessary for whatever reason, replaced it with another drug. A lot of course depends on your original condition.

As for the numbing - there is definitely some numbing on this. Some additional side-effects that can be a bit unnerving like libido suppression etc too. The amount of numbing is however always proportionate to the amount of emotion that was otherwise overwhelming you. It is not the drug that numbs you. It is the brain accepting a break. Once I was off ven finally, and it took a while, about 6 months later emotions started to resurafce. I processed them one by one without feeling overwhelmed. I rearranged my perception of many things. It was a conscious effort. It was managing the therapy's fallout. The reason I could do it successfully was that I had completed therapy. Not just came off the drug. But truly completed therapy.

I wish you, and everyone struggling after ven a quick recovery. But please never be afraid to take control. If your doctor is failing you, get a new one. Insist. If you are struggling, know that it is not supposed to be that way. If you have already taken the drug you may as well get the most of it. Not stay a mess and have taken the stuff smile it makes no sense.

I would like to point out here, for others' future reference, that not everyone who is low or anxious needs medication. Usually the best way to evaluate the need is by talking to a psychiatrist. All the best.

• Posted

Wow thank you so much, you've given me more information than any of the doctors I have seen have. It's like none of them know anything about it but have prescribed it anyway.

The side effects I was having during the last year are what made me come off. Even if I haven't given it a full chance it was getting to the point where my work was suffering, which was making me feel worse.

Now that I'm almost off venlafaxine I feel better than I have in years smile I feel like a real person again

• Posted

I should have said I'm starting to feel better. As I said earlier the withdrawals are horrific a lot of the time, but I'm reassured by a spark in myself I haven't felt in a long time

• Posted

Usually, giving information to an anxiety sufferer is considered bad practice. Which i think is really stupid. I find it better to give some information lest they attempt to seek it out from unreliable sources and mess up any progress. It also helps the doctor earn their trust and compliance. Then, they tend to sail through the rougher aspects of therapy. I have seen this with many friends in therapy. Myself included. It took years to find a therapist who was competent and even then i wriggled and kicked until I saw the transformation for myself. Then I understood the mechanism. And growth and recovery ensued so naturally.

smile I remember that spark of empowerment, that feeling like you have returned to yourself, after medication. It is pretty heady. And a good base for many borderline patients to build on. You can expect highs and lows for a while to come. But good self-care and plenty of positivity can help. If at all possible, try to stick on minimal dose for at least 3 months though. Give your brain a chance to reboot. Best of luck. x

• Posted

Hi, I've been taking 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine since last July. Within the first month my symptoms had all improved and I am still happier than I've been in years, and sleeping better too. My doctor is monitoring my cholesterol because the meds have caused it to go up. I also have some parathesia in my right shoulder, but it doesn't bother me. The way I am feeling now makes it all worth while for me.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Oh I do hope your cholesterol stops acting up. It does happen on these medicines sometimes. And certainly hope you continue to improve!
    • Posted

It's very interesting, the information I get from my psychiatrist and sister-in-law who's also a psychiatrist feels very different from the info I get on this board. The psychiatrists speak more casually about the drug whereas the accounts here are generally pretty negative. I guess that bias is in play, but it sure makes it hard to know who to trust.

Anyways, I'm on my third day of 37.5 mg. Felt a little under the weather the first day but today and yesterday have been fine. I have noticed my depression's seemed worse this week, though I'm not sure if that's physiological or psychological. The weird thing about starting this drug is that I've lost a little more agency and willpower to get myself up and about when I know in a few weeks things will start lifting automatically. Boy it certainly soudns nice to have some light to look forward to.

• Posted

I know what you mean. I started Effexor in an era of no online assistance smile and knew noone on the drug. I only had my doctors to believe...and I did not. My last psychiatrist was casual like you describe. It actually helped me immensely that he was so light and confident. He asked a few questions, noted a few things in my file and mostly let me blabber about my insecurities about the drug, promptly stopping me every time i got too shaky with a gentle objection and explanation. Over time i came to understand the process (and his rationale) and then i felt comfortable. As my therapy started to draw to a close he shared more about it. He is my main source and left me with a rich understanding of the drug, what can and sometimes goes wrong and how it looks when it goes right. I then researched drugs extensively and talked to A LOT of people on this and many other drugs. There is a time for knowledge. In the throes of your escalating depression or anxiety all you really need to know is that the drug is not the enemy, nor will it take "you" out of the mix. Trust your psychiatrist (be wary of the GP though biggrin and raise any concerns you have for them to address. That much abbout trust. Now, with access to all sorts of info, remember that at the end of the day you and your p doctor know best what works for you. And forums - look for support when needed. Maybe some relief amongst peers who have been there or are there. smile All the best!

• Posted

I too started this drug before internet days, 1993 I think. I don't even think I read the leaflet that came with it.

• Posted

I'm starting to think that I would've been better off without the internet in this case. This kind of medication affects people so much that it seems like there's a lot of emotional bias coming in to people's answers. I can't help but be a little frustrated at this point. I think going was a good call and I don't feel too worried about coming off now that I know how seriously to take the taper.

• Posted

I was in it for years without a thought. It was only when my GP took my off suddenly I felt the bad effects, I've been fighting for a year not to let ven 'control me' but have realised I can't go on like this, waiting for death. That's why I owe it to myself to try the recommended dose and try and get better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.