should I start taking citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Doctor has just prescribed 10mg once a day. I am very reluctant to take these after reading some of the side effects. I previously took sertraline 50mg for 4 days but felt so I'll I stopped taking them. I just want to feel normal again. I have been suffering with stress and anxiety for some months now, I am having counselling. Can anyone give me some advice on taking citalopram.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

10mg is good dose to start on,  this where I started a d had very few side effects.  I am now on 20mg and experiencing some mild side effects such have as clenched jaw and upset tummy,  but relatively mild.  They have helped and are a popular first choice medication in this field.  Near everyone says,  ride out the side effects and it will. All be worth it
    • Posted

Thank you. I suppose I have been quite I'll over the last few months I was reluctant to take them and feel worse, but I will give them a go because I want to get back to being OK.
  • Posted

Hi citalopram didnt work for me I was on them for 5 year's. Side affect s all slow down. But nasty side effects. But remember everyone is different. I am on sertreline now for about 2 years yes I had horrible side effects but now I feel better now then I did in the hole 7 years on citalopram. The only down full in I was put on diazepams at same time as the citalopram so I am highly hook on diazepams. So keep away from them. Good luck with side effect we all went through it and talking on here any people s story s will show you your not alone,
    • Posted

Why were you on CIT so long when it didn't help?

How do you find sertreline?

• Posted

Cit was over look for so long as my gp had idea or time 2 listen just keep me on diazepams which was also left un notice. I was walking into fire. After 7 years I walked in s chemical and asked for help and I got more help from her then my gp. I owe her my life. For showing me the real bigger picture on diazepams. Sertreline hav help more in alot of things. I noticed I looked better est better.
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I have been on cit for just over 3 weeks.  The initial side effects are different for everyone - for me, they were a real drag - however, my anxiety has improved a great deal and most of the side effects have abated.  I feel alot better than I did 3 weeks ago and continue to improve.  10mg is the lowest dose so I would think that any side effects you get will be quicker to pass.  Some p;eople don't have any trouble at all.  The trick is to stick with it.  Best of Luck.

Hugs,

Linda

• Posted

Hi I would take it for the least amount of time and lowest dose possible also make sure you are exercising and eating healthy to stave off any weight gain. When you are ready to get off of it then I would suggest doing just that. I think it did help with my anxiety and sleep and now that Im off Ive had a harder time falling alseep and staying asleep so im going to research naturaly alternatives to help with that. 
  • Posted

Oh and I didnt know it at the time but I think it caused me to be really spacey and slow. I think it messed up my performance at work because I made mistakes that shouldnt have been made. Again I didnt realize it at the time and thought maybe i was just that person. I hope im not and since getting off the medication ive noticed a difference in processing thoughts etc. So I would really focus on things like that with a critical eye and tell others around you as well to tell you if you seem off. 
  • Posted

Jack go for it mate.you are nearly there, you know you Mead a little help.the sertraline didn't help so now you are here.take the 10 mg cit. The after 7 days go to 20 mg. I was on sert and they made me I'll so I came off after 7 weeks . and tried cit . I am allot better now.and hardly any side effects unlike sert.
  • Posted

Same boat you are in I don't have advice because I am right there with you. I also started counselling to but have been prescribed 20mg of it and in nervous to. I have read good things as well all I can say is your not alone in it 
  • Posted

Hi Jacki,

Hang in there.  Try to keep as positive as you can - the meds will work, you just have to give them time.  I am just past week 3 and there is a huge difference in my anxiety - between the meds and the counselling you will do just fine.  Any side effects you might get will be short lived.  Mine have all passed except for an upset tummy and I am coping with that all right knowing that it will pass as well.  It's going to be fine.

Best,

Linda

HUGS

• Posted

Im in the same situation. i dont know what to do. i was given a prescription at the beginning of november for 20mg to start on. i have only just manage to bring myself to pick up the prescription never mind take them.. i dont know what to do..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.