Should I stay with GP or go back to Rheumatologist?

Posted , 10 users are following.

It all began with minimal pain throughout my whole body, went to an Internist and was diagnosed with fibro. I didn't agree so I went to a Rheumatologist, blood work was positive for RF but inflammation markers were within normal range. After several exam's and blood tests, she diagnosed me with RA. Vectra DA results were 67 which is high.

Recently (08/19) symptoms of a very bad flare began. I've been prescribed meloxicam, prednisone and lodine in the past but was taking no meds at the time of the latest flare. The pain was all over my body and very severe, I seriously don't think I could have handled the pain another 48 hours. Called GP and she called in a script of Tramadol. Began taking the Tramadol, Meloxicam and low dose Prednisone. The results were remarkable except for some minor hip pain.

My question is: should I just let my GP treat me or go back to a Rheumatologist? The cost of the Rheumatologist and frequent blood test are frankly to danged expensive. Although I liked her and feel she is very qualified. My GP is also very good but can only treat the symptoms. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also some of you "veterans" does this sound like RA. Shoulder, hands, neck, center of back, hips, knees and feet are all affected. Mainly shoulders, hips, knees and feet. Walking with a very noticeable painful limp, luckily elbows and ankles have mostly been spared. Wrists are pretty bad also. Any comments and advice appreciated in advance. Thanks

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You hit the nail on the head. Your GP can only treat the symptoms. Meanwhile joint damage is occurring. Your rheumatologist understands this disease more than your GP. By all means, stay with your rheumatologist. Don't forget that RA symptoms progress/change over time and your rheumy is the best qualified to manage the disease. 

I have had RA for 15 years and have had wonderful care from my own rheumy. I had many of the symptoms that you have and am now well managed so I feel virtually normal. My flareups in the past sound like what is happening to you.

One thing I did on my own is taking 2,000 mg of turmeric every day. It helped me so much that I only take 1/4 the methotrexate I used to take.

Best of luck to you and I hope that you feel better soon.

• Posted

Made an appt with my GP for Tuesday to get a referral for a rheumatologist.

The pain and swelling is pretty much out of control at this point.

I agree, better to act now and minimize damage.

I've always thought I was a tough guy and have always had a high tolerance for pain.

I'm learning that there's a time in every man's life that he need's to to ACH out for help.

Thanks

• Posted

Please try turmeric with curcumin. You can get it online or vitamin shops. It's about $18 USD and worth 10x that!

• Posted

I will try it, along with pineapple and black cherry juice.

Thank you Tami

I'm learning more from this forum everyday thanks to people like you.

• Posted

I got turmeric yesterday and started taking it last night. Is it supposed to work quickly or does it need to build up in your system?  I have been on Mtx for 5 weeks and prednisone for about 8 weeks with a small improvement but still with significant pain daily. 
    • Posted

We men are not as stupid as some think! You are smart to safeguard your joints and your health. I knew a man who would NOT go to a doctor as his hands and knuckles twisted so badly that he could barely use his hands. When he finally did go to my RA practice, they told him that they could have prevented all that damage. 

Let me know, if you wish, how your visit goes on Tuesday.

• Posted

Maybe just me being hopeful but I cut my pain meds by one dose(huge for me). I saw my feet and ankle bones instead of puffed up balloons AFTER 1 dose. I'm walking better, less pain and less winded. Yay!!

• Posted

Hi Tami

That's greatt.  .  I hope you can continue with this improvement.    Do you attribute it to the tumeric?   Do you or anyone have one product that they have found really works for them.  I am just buying a cheaper generic product by CVS and don't see that it helps much.  Perhaps I need to try something that costs more.   I did ask my RA doc about supplements and he did say don't waste money on unproven products.   He said that Fish oil has had a good track record in studies.  Not sure that would be for pain or just in general as a good supplement

At any rate,  happy to hear your good news, Tami

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. What brand and strength do you take?  I bought something at GNC that I think is 750mg. Didn't do much if anything for the pain but I saw there were many different brands etc. and maybe what I got isn't the best. 

• Posted

Found tumeric at Vitamin World and got pineapple and black cherry juice at Walmart. I'm seeing a noticeable improvement all ready. As I've learned with this disease, that could change at any moment.

It is the tumeric with curcumin that you and others have spoken of.

Resting from doing yard work now and pain is setting in again. Getting out to do more in the yard.

Pain is always worse after sitting a while.

I'm going to do a few stretches and get back to it.

Thank you Tami and other who post here!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.