Should I still have B12 injections after surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery 11 weeks ago and everything has been great since, so far anyway. I went back to work after 9 weeks post op (I work part time) I have felt OK with this but I still feel really tired as I did before the surgery? I thought now I am able to eat that I wouldn't get this tiredness? Sometimes I have a good appetite other days I can take or leave food still. I have an appt for B12 injection later this week (it was already pre booked before the op) and I am wondering should I still have it? Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey kerry great to hear youre doing well!

Im 10 months now and i am always always tired. Its a struggle not to got to bed at 7 (kids wouldnt appreciate it)

My b12 was 423, 'normal' and im.picking up blood form today to see whats goung on.

I wish i had a magic answer for you

X

• Posted

Hi Alfielefoo,

I feel good it's just this tiredness, I could actually just sit all day! Do you feel like that? When I finish work and get home I could just sit in a chair and not move until bedtime.. I don't obviously as have children too but I am finding it hard to find the motivation. Maybe I should get a blood test to see if I need the b12 before I have it,

How are you doing other than the tiredness, are you still managing to eat a fairly normal diet? I hope you are doing well, It's always good to hear from you X

• Posted

Ive not found a way to manage! I did take naps but they make me feel hungover.

Food wise i eat most stuff, but still not good with fibre.

Cant believe you went back to work at 9 weeks. I was hobbling around feeling sorry for myself 😂

• Posted

I felt good to go back and I only work part time so it's not too bad. I have naps sometimes but also feel worse after. I gave up smoking the day before I had the op so I thought that would help my energy! 11 weeks later and I feel worse 😂 Energy wise i mean X

• Posted

Thinking it coould 'just' be recovery period? 11 weeksisnt really long and they said it can be a year to be better...

Who knows....

• Posted

Hi kerry, Pleased to hear that you are feeling better after your surgery. I take it this is your first sugery. You dont say whether it was crohns or colitis that you are suffering from.  I have had crohns now for 53 yrs during that trime I have had two bowel resection operations. I am afraid the tiredness and fatigue is a side effect of the crohns and I have suffered with this throughout the whole 53yrs. I have been having the b12 for 17yrs.My appitite is good and I love my food but I have to be careful how much I eat or else I overload my stomach not appreciating that I have now lost half of my bowel.  I wish they could find a treatment for the fatigue I find great difficulty finding the energy to do things
    • Posted

Hi, this is my first surgery, I have been diagnosed for 17 yrs but had it for 23yrs! I had 3 strictures all around terminal ilium and for most of those yrs suffered pain diarrohea bloating etc. Had a restricted diet (the usual no skins pips veg, fruit, or high fibre etc) eventually had the resection 11 weeks ago and I am doing really well and can now eat anything! When I have an appetite as it is still up and down..

It is just the fatigue, I thought it would be better after the op however at times I feel I have been worse,since going back to work especially so I just wondered if anyone still had the b12 after they had the surgery or if I need a blood test to confirm first?

• Posted

Hi Kerry, great to hear from you. I think it is important to understand that its a big

operation & as such recovery might be a bit slow- individual differences. IBD is alife changer and tiredness is a side effect of d condition: so take things easy!

1st is going to ur Doc to get blood tested. Depending on the nature of ur job, even

working part time still zaps ur energy, not to mention family life. Do u think you will benefit from speaking to ur employer or occupational health about how u feel

and what support u need. E.g. work pace,time pressure & work targets or maybe occasionally work through ur break so as to leave work a little bit earlier. Moderate exercise is also good if able to.

All the best and hoping ur energy level gets better.

• Posted

Hi me petit,

Thanks for your reply,

I agree everything takes time and fatigue plays a huge part in crohns. I have booked in for a blood test tomorrow, I have got a few days off work now so hopefully I will have more energy when I go back! 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.