Should I still have CT scan?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have not yet been diagnosed with diverticulitis, but after looking online there is little to no doubt in my mind that is what I am suffering from. After intense pain for 3 days I have now been on a liquid diet for 4 days and seem to be getting much better FINALLY! 

Problem is that my CT scan isn’t for 5 more days. Should I cancel this scan? If I am not having a flare up will they even be able to see a problem?  Don’t necessarily want to spend the time & money to just be told ‘nothing can be seen, head home and wait for it to happen again’ 

Thoughts?? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You need a colonoscopy or scan to diagnose DD so I would still go and have it. It will show up any diverticula sacks even if you aren't having a flare up 

• Posted

Yes get the scan done for a definitive answer as it will show up diverticula if you have them, flare up or not.  If it is DD you can start to make your lifestyle changes now, and hopefully avoid further attacks.  The sooner you get on top of this disease, the better in the long run. 
    • Posted

Will do, I will post here when I know more! 

Thanks for your help!

• Posted

Take the CT scan. It could be something else...there is so many different thing that can cause stomach pain. Is it on you left side of your lower abdimon?
    • Posted

My left side, yes. From mid section all the way to the pubic bone. When symptoms first started I felt like my digestive system had a kink in it and could feel each and every bubble being processed through. Very painful! I could barely walk for 2 days. White blood cell count was normal when tested 24 hours after onset of pain. But by 48 hours I had developed chills and fever. 
    • Posted

Hi Tobie 

Sounds like diverticulitis specially with chills, fever and lower pain.

I've been on 2 rounds of meds 12 days total. I still have cramping 8 weeks now. Had a ct scan blood work stool sample and going in for colonascopy soon.

CT scan showed diverticulosis which is a bit different cause you don't get immflamation in you colon. It's been a long road for me and hopefully goes away. Drink lots of water fruits and veggies....nothing with seeds.

Take metamucil and a good probiotic like Kefir...hope this helps!!

• Posted

CT scan showed mine.......definitely have it done.  At least you know for sure what you're dealing with and you can change your eating habits accordingly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.