Should I still take Finasteride?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been experiencing male pattern hair loss for quite some years and I am only 35.

The baldness is quite obvious but it hasn't reached the end of the world. I once took

Finasteride a few years ago and I experienced decreased sex drive but I wasn't sure

if it was placebo, but orgasm was a little bit affected, a little bit like ruined orgasm that

I didn't experience before.... then I stopped the medicine.... However, from time to time

, especially when I take a selfie I feel so depressed.....

I know hair transplant is an option but I also know that a lot of time Finasteride will

still have to be continued.... Hair transplant doesn't solve my worries....

What do you think??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

In men, hair loss is generally caused by the male androgen dihydrotestosterone known as DHT. Finasteride (1 mg) lowers your DHT levels by 70%, enough to stop hair loss completely in more than 8/10 men.

Finasteride is highly effective, but can indeed cause side effects albeit rare. Around 2-3% of men experience side effects. Most reported are lower libido and decreased semen volume.

Regarding your question: only you can answer that question. Finasteride stops hair loss in 83% of men and caused side effects in 3%. It's up to you to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Special note: be aware that a hair transplant will NOT solve your hair loss. It's a reparation technique, not a preventive technique. Finasteride stops hair loss, a hair transplant will not. In my opinion, getting a hair transplant without finasteride is a waste. Let me explain why.

For simplicity sake:

Hair on top = DHT sensitive → will fall out.

Hair on sides and back = DHT insensitive → will not fall out.

During a hair transplant, the surgeon creates a new hair line with hair follicles from the back of your head. He removes them from the back and moves them to the front. These hair follicles are DHT insensitive and are therefore not affected by hair loss. Your “old” hair behind that newly created hair line however will still continue to fall out.

In such a case you can opt for a 2nd hair transplant, but this not recommended. This is because your donor area is limited. You can only harvest X amount of hair and move it to the front. Generally that amount (X), is not enough to cover the whole top of your head with good density.

Good luck

• Posted

Sexual disorders are serious side effects of using finasteride and since you have already experienced these side effects, it is better to avoid finasteride.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.