Should I stop the anti-hypertensives?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on two antihypertensive medication for many years, namely Amlodipine 5 mg (once a day) and Ramipril 5mg (once a day). Just recently I have lost a lot of weight ( primarily due to low fat vegan diet, also referred to as Whole food plant based diet. When resting , my BP is usually around 110/75. I have asked my doctor if I can gradually come off these toxic medications, but he is refusing on the ground that I have got "the coronary artery disease".  Have been in tis situation? If so, I would like to hear your opinion please?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was in a similar situation tow years ago  i asked for a second opinion .

I was Taken  off two prescribed medications and put on weekly exercise prescription 

perhaps  the doctors can share  the benefits of exercise prescription 

• Posted

Try going off one first by half a dose. I will say my friend tried this and her BP shot up a lot so she had to go back on original dosage.
  • Posted

Of course you should now try cutting back on the meds.  They do nothing for the underlying disease, they only treat symptoms.  I'd stop the amlodipine cold, it will take a week for it do clear from your body anyway.  The Ramipril I would take more slowly, cut the pills in half if that's OK, otherwise maybe consider taking it every other day for a while, or only if your BP gets over maybe 132/88.  

• Posted

JX, Thanks for the advise. Why would you stop Amlodipine "cold"? 

?You clearly know a thing or two about these drugs, please share.

thanks

• Posted

Don’t listen to him, typical of a GP. If your eating healthy and your BP is stable, there’s no reason why you need the meds. Your doing great with the healthy eating, and vegan food is excellent for reducing your BP as it’s very alkaline and nutritious. 
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments and support.

My fear is that when I start to reduce the medication dosage then my BP will start to rise again.

​But I wont know it until I try

s

• Posted

Imcame of Amlodopine due to side effects last September.   At the time my BP was normal since then it’s been high and it’s taking time to bring it down.  I am currently on Losartan 100mg.  Sometimes it’s better to stick with what you know. Good luck
    • Posted

I am not experiencing any side effects from Amlodipine nor Ramipril.

​I would be interested in knowing you BP figures before and after you came off the Amlodipine.

Has you BP stabilised now. I presume you are only on Losartan?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.