Should I switch meds?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was on 20mg of flouxetine for two weeks and experienced awful side effects, and then they cleared up. My psychiatrist increased my dose to 40mg and I felt nothing for the first two weeks and then hit with the lowest low. I was crying, unmotivated, sleeping a lot, depressed, had suicidal imaginings, depersonalization, I experienced those feelings for a few days but they are getting better a little bit. I am a little happier but still depressed, not crying, I am still kind of lethargic but more motivated to do things like take a shower and exercise. I find that I am sleeping a lot more at night and waking up at like 10 when I used to wake up at 8 and I don't feel like getting out of bed. But once I get up I start to get better. I don't know if I should just keep sticking with fluoxetine or switch? The process is so slow. I've been on fluoxetine for 6 weeks, and on 40mg for 3. Is this going to work? Should I switch meds?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yup, you can take fluo when it works best for you. My son started in the ams but it made him feel dizzy and queasy, so he switched to evenings which was much better, then he missed a do se and switched back to ams, . Back now on the evening dose though as that's much better. 
  • Posted

Each time your dose is increased you'll get the side effects again.  You have to be so, so patient on this type of meds because it doesn't work quickly.  Keep on going, don't give up, accept whatever happens at the moment and I promise it will all get better.  You'll feel like yourself again.

A broken bone take time to heal, and so does this illness.  Took me 3-4 months to feel some benefit and by 6 months I'd recovered.  And that's from 15 years of being ill.  

Patience, perseverance and even more patience on top ;-)

K xx

• Posted

Hi katecogs

Sorry for disturbing but one more question?

Do you take any additional pills like benzodiazepines or diazepam or something for better sleep? Or Propranolol?

Just to help until flu kick...

A

• Posted

Hi Alex

No I don't take anything additional for sleep, though initially I took Kalms (night ones) to help.  Sleep problem only lasted a short time for me and probably only had a few nights when I couldn't sleep.  I've been able to sleep properly since.

My son started Fluoxetine last year after being depressed, and took Mirtazapine to help him sleep, and he's back sleeping well now and feeling well now.

Ooh, and you're not disturbing me at all - absolutely no problem asking me questions :-)

K x

• Posted

Thanks katecogs,

I am taking xanax 0.25 when needed and Propranolol cause I get heart racing from increased anxiety from flu...

It helps me and I hope I will stay only on flu when it kicks....and I hope it will kick soon...

Today in the morning it was terrible...and so sudden my mode change and I had perfect day....I wanted to say it's such an strange journey....

Anyway thanks on your words....

You know how much this means to me at this early stage- Wednesday I am finishing week 4...

A

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.