Should I switch to suppressive therapy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with HSV2 almost 2 months ago and I have had my first outbreak which was horrible. Right after my first outbreak was over I had my menstrual cycle and after that was over I started feeling some itching and tingling in my vaginal region. I felt right away that I was on the verge of having an outbreak but nothing happened. I kept having the sensations though and now almost a week later I'm having my second outbreak. I know that your menstrual cycle can cause an outbreak but I think what really brought it own was all the stress I'm having from my classes. I try to stay calm and reduce my stress level but its kind of hard when you're a senior in college. I talked to my gyno and she was concerned that I was having another outbreak so quickly after the first. She put me back on the valtrex for 10 days but she also mentioned suppressive therapy as an option. I want to wait and see what the outcome will be after I finish the valtrex but I may be one of the unfortunate people who experiences an outbreak every month. With all that being said I want to know about other people's experience with suppressive therapy. Is it really better than taking the valtrex everytime I have an outbreak? I really don't want to have to take another pill along with all the other vitamins and supplements I'm taking everyday just to keep a strong immune system but it's worth it if it keeps me from having so many outbreaks. I also heard it helps with not spreading the virus.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sherry79337 I was just diagnosed a month ago yesterday! It's still very new to me! I had an outbreak and that's how I was diagnosed. Well since than I took the 10day course of valtrex. I felt a lot better after my symptoms were gone. I decided to do the suppressive therapy 1 tablet twice a day. I have noticed that I feel better about myself. I feel a bit more at eased with the situation. I still have my moments when I just can't believe this. I also started taking L lysine 1,000 mg a day and 500mg of vitamin C a day. I still do get itchy down there sometimes but no outbreaks since my first one I had a month ago. So my doctor told me you might get random itchiness here and there but you can just tell when you will be having an outbreak because it is all red and very itchy that it's unbearable! So I do think that the suppressive therapy helps because it gives you that peace of mind that you are taking it daily and knowingly helping it and cause less outbreaks. Also if you are sexually active to help protect your partner by taking it daily.
  • Posted

Thanks Jessika73414 for sharing your experience! I am also taking lysine but I don't think its working well for me or I'm not taking enough but after hearing your success with suppressive therapy I think thats a good choice for me. Having that peace of my would be great!
  • Posted

Your welcome sherry79337. I feel better as each day goes by. It can also be just in mind but hey like they say you think positive and than your health is better as well. I also took out all caffeine from my diet. I have also started doing excercise. I hope all goes well and feel free to communicate with me. It's great to discuss this with others that know what and how we feel.
  • Posted

I have no experience of Valtrex so can not comment other than to say all drugs have a derogatory effect of some kind

" vitamins and supplements " are a waste of time and bad for your stomach

Not ideal to take regular pills to suppress - also bad for your stomach

Common consensus is that Mouth and Genital herpes are not interchangeable

People can have herpes for many years before it appears

Many people who have herpes do not show symptoms but you can still contract it from them - its a nasty little disease

So - Get healthy - no smoking, alcohol, junk food, sugar etc,. etc.

Don't do too much gym

Stay out of cold when possible

Look into "Singles vaccine" as I am told can relive symptoms

Buy Virulite for cold sores - super device works like magic

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks try hard bob, you're the second person to mention the shingles vaccine to me. I'm really considering it. I agree supplements and vitamins aren't that great on an everyday basis and I'm thinking about cutting back.
  • Posted

Cool but be sure to really check the situation with the vaccine as I have not tried it and do not know anyone personally who has. Ask around (doctors, friends, elderly people) in case of side effects. The internet is not always the most reliable source of information. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi sherry i know this in an old post, but im due to start supressive therapy in 3 weeks time,after 10 yrs of coping with this virus ive hit a wall.my outbreaks are every 6 weeks,they get worse each time as i think my immune system is so run down it hits me harder each time.This virus is just awful,people dont realise how much havoc it reeks on your body and theres nobody to talk to about it.

But stay positive,its all we can do.im due to start supressive therapy in 3 weeks as the lady at the gum clinic thinks it would benefit me.ill let you know how i get on with the treatment.in the meantime stay positive!😊

• Posted

Before going on meds try 2 grams of L-Lysine. It is inexpensive, natural, and harmless and see how effective it is on you. It has been effective on me alone and I have stopped Valtrex suppressive therapy since October. No attacks since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.