Should I switch to venlafaxine from citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i am looking for a bit of guidance.

I took 75 mg slow release venlafaxine for about 8 months just over 2 years ago, induction side effects were pretty awful. Was off work for 2 weeks with high anxiety, had to take diazapam.

I recovered and came off them.

After a stressful couple of months at work the dr suggested i start again with something. I had heard good reports about citalopram from friends so opted for that rather than the venlafaxine, due to past side effects.

I have been on citalopram for about 9 weeks. Had pretty bad side effects for a month or so, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, nausea, poor sleep, fatigue etc, i was still getting morning anxiety so 2 1/2 weeks ago increased dose from 10 to 15mg the extra 5 taken in the evening to try a smooth the dose.

The first week was great with less fatigue and increased motivation, but the last 1 1/2 weeks have been pretty crappy, poor sleep, fatigue, no motivation.

I am considering a switch to venlafaxine.

Is this a bad idea.

Am I likely to get the induction side effects even with the exposure to citalopram.

Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Hello, as long as you are not too anxious on cit, you probably just need a dose increase, recommended by your doctor. 15mg is quite low, 40 is max. You want to stay with cit, on higher doses, to see if it works for you. Otherwise, you may miss out on the ideal med and dose, without knowing. I started cit at start of year on 30mg then 40mg. Then had a complete nightmare with raging anxiety. I had to switch to ven, as was too anxious on high cit dose, and lower doses werent strong enough for my depression. Ven has worked out much better for me so far, but each person is different. Stay with cit, but increase dose, only on doctors recommendation though, to see if cit is right for you.
    • Posted

Thanks, i started on a low dose due to the side effects, the increase to 15 has been pretty unpleasant. I'm reluctant to go up again, im mainly depressed but anxiety has increased with citalopram, is it likely that the anxiety will reduce on higher citalopram dose as it seems that the citalopram is the cause.

I understand about not giving up on citalopram too early but don't want to waste too much time

• Posted

As you come out of your depression, most people's anxiety will go up, with most anti depressants. Its a question of trying to get the right balance, and is why gradual increases are used hor some people. The increase in anxiety is a price most people have to pay. The anxiety although it increases intially with each dose increase, should subside eventually. Many people say the anxiety is the last thing to go. It can take 6 to 12 weeks or more for anxiety to go. It makes sense. Prolonged anxiety causes depression, coming out of depression means going through anxiety again. The fact you had a good week on such a low dose is encouraging. If i were in your shoes, i would stay on cit, and increase every 4 weeks, until you feel your depression is much better. Generally, each time you increase your anxiety levels go up, and then subside, but it can take a while to subside. Forget about a quick fix because there isnt one, you need to give it time to get the correct one.

• Posted

If you went back to ven, you are likely to go through the same anxiety issues. Cit and ven are both highly regarded by doctors and pyscs. I really wanted cit to work, and gave it 12 weeks. As long as the anxiety remains manageable, although unpleasant, stick with cit for a few dose increases of 5mg at a time.
    • Posted

Had you tried any ads before ven, as most people go onto ven, only if the ssris didnt work. I tried 2 ssris, didnt work, so went onto ven. You dont normally go from ven to a ssri like cit.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, i think i will give the citalopram a bit more time.

The first time around the dr put me on sertraline but I had diarrhoea within 30 mins of taking the first, and only, tablet. The dr then moved me venlafaxine, im not sure why he chose venlafaxine, i guess he thought i might be particularly sensitive to ssri, I have had similar side effects on citalopram but not so immediate, and I had a bit more knowledge of what to expect.

• Posted

Its odd he chose ven next, as another ssri like cit is logical choice. You didnt really give sert much of a go, so if cit doesnt work, you can try another ssri.
    • Posted

You're right i didn't give sert much of a try. I was a bit surprised by the immediate response. I will discuss options for other ssri with gp.

• Posted

I would give cit a good go though, as generally its most successful ssri. If not, try another ssri. You are likely to get increased anxiety with all of them. Next logical step is a cit increase. 20mg dose of cit, is starting point for a lot of people. Lois on here might message you at some point, shes a cit expert. Shame it didnt work for me. Basically, ssris werent strong enough for my depression, and they made me to anxious. Thats why i went onto ven, as its a snri. Ssris work for most people, and thats why they are first choice. You always need to give at least 2 of them a go, before trying ven. Ven is for more persistant depression.
  • Posted

Hi

I have I tried several anti anxiety anti depressant medications and I like Effexor a lot.

Now I will be honest with you I have been on it for about 4 months and I still have wicked night sweats and tremors that are subsiding.

They increase as the dosage increases.

My anxiety and depression are VERY well controlled and I finally am calm and peaceful and those 2 reasons are why I have tolerated the side effects.

You have to decide what you can deal with.

Please keep in mind that ALL of these types of medications have funky side effects.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

Hi! I was on sertaline then citalapram. But both stopped working after 5 to 6 weeks,so.I started ven immediately upon stopping 40mg of cit. I was fine. 1st few days restless sleep high anxiety but totally feel so much better now. Its,been 2 weeks and feels like this just may be the one,that works for me. Praying...
    • Posted

Hi Leah

I have been on Effexor for 4 months and it consistently works for me.

Sounds like you are on the right track 🤗

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Mary! Positive news gives me hope. So far so good for me. 😊

• Posted

Hello, just wanted to add, after a ven dose increase 2 weeks ago, having best 3 days ive had in 3 or 4 months. I take immediate release ones, and actually like the feeling it gives me. Best ad ive tried so far, by some way.
    • Posted

Seems like when you get dose right, improvements are very good, and happen quite quickly. Taken me quite a while to get to correct dose.
    • Posted

187mg. Went up to that 2 weeks ago. Was on 150mg for 5 weeks, very little and slow improvements. Trouble was i had a very extended switch over, that made me so much worse. Possibly needed higher dose, because of state i got in from an 8 week reduction and change over.
    • Posted

Your positivity Nigel is refreshing🤗

It's really good to hear that someone else is having good results.

I was definitely apprehensive regarding the side effects but I am sooo happy I switched to Effexor.

Best of luck 😊

• Posted

Yes, a lot of doom and gloom about effexor, probably from people that forget why they needed it in the first place. Find it very agreeable to take. Would have had much quicker results if my pysc had done switch more quickly. My blood pressure is fine, despite recently increasing dose. Pyscs highly regard ven, as if ssris dont work, offers best outcome of the rest available, if it works for you.
    • Posted

Aside from the induction it worked well for me too.

I was on a low dose and tappered down very slowly, shaving tablets and didn't have any discontinuation effects.

• Posted

Just a quick question. I have read that switching manufacturer causes problems. Started to work myself up on Saturday for I was starting on Teva pills rather than Mylan which I had been on. I don't seem to feel a difference. It clearly states they are the same..The pharmacist says it's fine too. Just wondering if you have had problems.

• Posted

Hello leahe, each time i get a ven pescription the manufacturer seems to be different, being honest, ive not taken much notice, and havent noticed any differences.
    • Posted

Thanks again... Think I'm reading too much..🤔

• Posted

Hi Mary, just teasing the discussion between you and Nigel. I had been on venlifaxine for week over 13 years, only 75 mg. We had a life changing event in our house last summer that no amount of medicine could control my anxiety. It went through the roof. Coincidentally, my generic ven was discontinued and substituted with something similar that didn't work AT ALL!!! so my doctor thought I should switch to Lexapro. Was on it for 10 weeks, 3@10mg, 7@20mg. OMG, my anxiety was 1000% worse.Back on brand Effexor XR 75mg now, and I feel almost like myself. I've been having some occasional 2-3 day flare ups. I might need to bump up a half dose. But this medication has been a godsend. I have my life back! And that life changing event I mentioned earlier has been resolved, thank heavens!!! I hope you continue to feel good!

• Posted

Hello, was thinking about your post. I cant imagine ven ingredients are any different between different manufacturers, so thought it might be in peoples minds. However, i take immediate release, seems to be a different brand in uk each time, and ive not noticed any difference. Then rememberred someone mentioning they changed brand on xr and found an intact capsule in their poo. You take xr, so perhaps with extended release, not all capsules are the same. Would explain your new brand was not working. With immediate release, they dissolve immediately. Certainly would explain different brands of xr working differently.
    • Posted

Oh no there's a big difference believe me. I'm a migraine sufferer and even though all migraine medications have sumatriptan in it, it's the other added ingredients that inhibits delivery of the medication. So if you can imagine using crappy chocolate to bake a cake and good, expensive chocolate to bake a cake, you're definitely going to get a different result. There is definitely a difference. Extended release with name brand and extended release in a generic are different as well. You wouldn't think so, but I'm living proof that there's a BIG difference. That being said, my generic worked great until it was discontinued. And then substituted with another generic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.