Should I take citalopram at night after 3 months...?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been taking citalopram for 3 months now starting at 10 mg and have been on 20mg for a month. I take it at 9am every day but wondered if it's better taken at night to aid sleep?

Does it help sleep after taking it for around 3 months? I know it can keep you awake in the early days.

I take 5mg mirtazapine at night to help with sleep but keen to come off this now and just take the citalopram.

Thanks all.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The most important thing is how you feel. CIT simply saved my life. I've been on 20mg for 4 months and the side effects are setteling down. I had shakes, dizziness, and found out the hard way that it DID NOT mix with alcohol. Gave me amnesia.

In any case, monitor your side effects carefully and decide whether they are worth the overall emotional feeling changes. Everyone is different but DO post here and get feedback. It's very helpful

• Posted

I've always taken Cit in the morning as doctor told me taking it in the evening can keep you awake as early side effect from this medicine is insomnia.  But in all honesty, I don't think it matters when you take it, but by all means try it and see if it makes a difference.

Ive taken this medicine for a number of years and apart from the early days of insomnia, it hasn't affected my sleep by taking it in the morning ..... in fact I fall into bed each night zzzz.

I think once over the initial side effects, sleep should get easier?

K x

• Posted

Hi David,

I find I sleep heavy for the first 4 hours and feel pretty good if sleep is disturbed there after even whether or not that is the citalopram not sure? 

• Posted

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm thinking of switching to taking at night as I seem to be quite drowsy in the day plus it may actually help me sleep now I've been taking it for 3 months - my system must be used to it by now.

I didn't take it this morning and it's now 2pm and I feel more alert than I usually do for this time of day. Maybe that's telling me something.

I'll try taking it tonight and see what happens.

• Posted

Hi David 

hope you are sleeping better now. Did switching to taking meds at night help you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.