Should I take hepatitis vaccine after oral lichen planus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took 2 doses of the hepatitis C vaccine and after the 2nd dose developed oral lichen planus. At first I didn't relate the two but after research stumbled upon it. I have to take my 3rd and last dose soon. Should I still finish it or will my condition worsen?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you should complete it personally. HCV can cause lots of havoc with your liver. I was treated in 2006 for HCV (the old 48 week, very difficult treatment) and didn't get diagnosed with OLP until the last few years. Don't know if the two are related, but I would think, that now that you have it, stopping the treatment wouldn't reverse it. Just my opinion 😊. Talk to your liver doctor.

There is no vaccine for Hep C so I am assuming you meant the treatment, not the vaccine.

• Posted

I meant the vaccine. I took an ERT course at my work place and was given the choice to take the vaccine since there was a potential of me coming in contact with blood.
  • Posted

Personally Rita, I would not take the next dose of the vaccine. I am a healthcare employee as well and after I was given the "routine" HepB vaccination, I began to experience symptoms which were misdiagnosed as eczema. * months, a biopsy and many scars later, I have been finally a diagnosed with LP. Currently, I am taking Prednisone which I am hailing as a miracle drug. For the first time this year, I a finally comfortable in my skin without itching. If I knew then what I know now about the relationship between LP and the HepB Vacc, I would never have allowed my employer to vaccinate me. Best of luck to you in your decision.

• Posted

Thank you. Yeah I won’t be taking the last dose. Same here on ‘if I would have known ‘. So far turmeric is giving me relief and keeping it contained but I’m also reading about OLP turning into oral cancer. Good luck to you too. 
  • Posted

I don’t think the hep C vaccine is the cause. I have OLP and used to be hep C + . I was treated for hep C successfully (finished tx Aug ‘16), however the dr. discovered I had AIH (autoimmune hepatitis) before treatment. I believe having the virus in my body for over two decades triggered my the autoimmune hep. I was treated for hep C  with strong antiviral drugs for 3 months, 3 months after completion I developed OLP.

BTW,  I had the hepB vaccination in my 20s  ( it is was required of anyone working on the frontlines of healthcare). It could not have caused my OLP which I did not develop until my late 40s

Hope this helps

• Posted

If you’re talking about taking the last dose of drugs for tx for hep c- take it!

You can’t reverse OLP so you may as well get rid of the hep C virus. You do not want Autoimmune Hepatitis- there is no cure.

If you’ve come this far, you may as well finish the course of treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.