Should i take mirtazapine?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been prscribed this drug instead of venlaflaxine and zopicpone which I have been on for years. I know I am addicted to the zopiclone and ended up in a and e follwoing an unintentional overdose. The psychiatrist has suggested mirtazapine to help sleep and depression.

I am really worried about taking it having read all these comments.

I am currently going through hell as no zopiclone for three nights now and feel awful.

I took zopiclone and venlafalaxine at doctors advcie to address low mood and crippling insomnia and have neded up in this state.

Should i take this drug or just go drug free?

Medication seems to have destroyed my life when it is supposed to help!

Am on the verge of loosing a very good job, lost relationship etc etc, sure we have all been there.

I really dont know what to do and just dont trust the docs anymore! Can any pill really help? Is there another way?

If anyone has

any advice i would really really appreciate it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried therapy in conjunction with medication?
  • Posted

Hi there

I am terrified of getting addicted to the zopiclone, as it is so easily done. Doctors seem to prescribe it freely and it can help initially but soon you get dependent, if not physically at first, then psychologically.

I personally don't think drugs are the solution - they all have their downsides and nasty side effects, and often treat only the symptoms without getting to the root of the problem.

Poor you trying to withdraw from the zopiclone, I can imagine that must be hell. I am a wreck after just one night of insomnia so I can see how anxious and stressed out you must be. Can you not get a schedule of withdrawl from your doc? I don't think this is something you can go cold turkey on? They should be able to help you by cutting down the dose very gradually, and then perhaps taking it every other night and then less and less. Mirtazapine could be a good drug to help wean you off, as it does make you very sleepy. This effect usually only lasts a week or so though.

I sympathise with you, you get desperate and feel sick of taking drug upon drug. After a while you start to distrust the doctors and think that they don't really know how to help you.

Wishing you all the best

x

• Posted

I've been on Mirt for about 4 months now and it's made a massive difference and with no side effects other than a restless leg if I take it too close to bedtime. Some people seem to have had a poor experience but it's been working well for me.
  • Posted

hi i've been on this drug for 3 months now but it hasn't helped my depression only makes me feel really tired all the time due to not sleeping well. i have tried a few different antidepressants but i have to say this one is the worst i've been on but everyone is different. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.