Should I take Septra/ Bactrim for suspected prostatitis ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So just a month ago, I suddenly got weird symptoms such as feeling that I am not able to empty my bladder properly, and the symptoms got worse as to where the sensation to urinate isn't as strong as it was before and the flow isn't as strong either coupled with lower abdominal bloating and discomfort. This all happened overnight, in a matter of a day. Before this incident I was a healthy 24 year old guy who was a gym junkie and loved strength training, usually I had some urinary urgency, and went around 8-10 times a day, but felt normal. After this incident I went to the doctor who did blood test, urinalysis, as well as a  bladder and kidney ultrasound. The doctor didn't find any bacteria or white blood cells in my urine, and my blood work was fine, and he also said that I had a normal post void residual. However I stressed my discomfort so he referred to a urologist, and I got an appointment for the end of january. I went to another doctor because I wanted a second opinion, this new doctor did a physical check up and said my prostate was slightly enlarged for a 24 year old and prescribed me cipro for a week on the basis of suspecting acute bacterial prostatitis. I took cipro for 2 days, and started noticing bad side effects such as peripheral neuropathy and calf and ankle pain, so I stopped taking it. Two days after I stopped, I felt that my flow was a bit better. So I went back to the doctor, and he switched me to septra, which is similar to bactrim as I recall. The situation is that I already have a urologist appointment scheduled at the end of this month by a referral from the first doctor I saw, who didn't give me any antibiotics. However the lower abdominal bloating is quite depressing, and I just don't feel normal, should I start taking the Septra for suspected prostatitis , or should I wait to see the urologist and get his perspective, then take the antibiotic? Does anyone have any bad experiences with this drug ? I just don't want to make my health worse by taking anymore antibiotics, as after taking cipro, I had to stop going to the gym cause of ankle pain and have insomnia, feels like I'm in a nightmare and can't wake up.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go ahead and take the Septra.  I started out very similar to you in my symptoms.  I ended up having BPH but had bouts of UTIs and likely bacterial prostatitis along the way.  The CIPRO made me suicidal, it's a syndrome called getting floxxed, and flouroquinolone drugs can have this effect on a very small percentage of people.  We just might be the unlucky ones.  I am a bodybuilder as well and ran into all kinds of trouble until I finally had something done.  I needed a surgical fix, you likely just have an infection.  A lot of times a prostate infection will not show up in a urinalysis.  You should ask your doc to do a urinalysis post prostate massage and then see what he gets.  Even then, if you're on antibiotics it might not culture out.  I would take the BACTRIM or SEPTRA and don't wait.  I waited and my infection got so bad, I ended up having to get a catheter.  It didn't help that I couldn't see my urologist for 30 days after I felt the symptoms, and just like you it literally happened overnight.

I also had an underlying issue.  

SEPTRA or BACTRIM really shouldn't give you any side effects except possibly the runs

• Posted

did your symptoms get worse fast? I'm kinda worried because my symptoms started on december 6th and I just started septra today on jan 10, I just hope I didn't act too late. Thanks for the reply, it's hard finding people with the symptoms I have, most of the people I've seen on here report pain when they have prostatitis, and for most people it isn't an overnight ordeal. 

• Posted

Anti biotics can have side effects. Cipro is bad. But if you have a infection needing anti biotics to clear it up, your kinda screwed. Your situation will not just go away.
    • Posted

Yea just learning how dangerous antibiotics could be haha, never thought I would be the small minority that would be affected by it's dangerous side effects. Let's just hope I make it through a course of septra safe and sound. 

• Posted

You probably have gastrointestinal issues, from what you described. Look into this. The symptoms can be similar with urinary functions. It's much easier to deal with than prostatitis. Hank

• Posted

Hey hank thanks for reaching out , I did consider gastrointestinal issues, however I don't think it's caused by anything like fecal impaction or constipation, as I have regular bowel movements, and I doubt it's gas related as my urinary habits changed overnight. Is there any other GI issues that could affect urinary function besides fecal impaction or constipation ? I'm currently looking into a condition called ascites, which is fluid buildup in the abdomen, but it's usually the result of liver damage, or tumor, and I'm not really a drinker, never had any symptoms of damaged liver, and I've had a pelvic ultrasound, so any tumors would have been picked up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.