Should I take sertraline?? Any success stories please :)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. I'm 14 years old and suffering from severe anxiety (I'm a school refuser because of it) and depression (i think this is caused by how debilitating my anxiety is). I also get very stressed, tense and invasive/dark scary thoughts, and awful PMT. My depression and anxiety get so much worse before my period.  I was prescribed Prozac a couple of months ago, but I gave up on it (i thought it made me worse, but I'm not sure whether i just convinved myself of that). Anyway, my counselor has suggested going on sertraline and I'm just a bit worried because of my age. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but I've read that antideppressants make suicidal thoughts a lot worse in teenagers- are there any fellow teens (or anyone)  out there who's anxiety/depression has been helped by sertraline? I'm really fed of up of feeling like this and I want to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel! I'd be really grateful for any replies!! 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I'm sorry you haven't had any positive responses yet (especially from some ladies who would understand what you are going through). Whatever ADs you use, it would be a good idea to closely monitor the effects (perhaps with a diary?) because of your age. I'm sure your doctor or health professional would keep a close eye on you in the first few days and weeks. Also your family or any close friends. Have you been offered any counselling or therapy? It can be useful to talk through your feelings of anxiety. Please don't give up though - I hope that you will be feeling better soon. I've given up on meds in the past so don't worry about that - you know your own body and mind better than any one else so I'm sure you did the right thing. It's best to taper off when coming off a drug so always consult your doctor if you decide to withdraw. Please post again if you are still feeling the same way in a few days. Are you able to distract yourself with plans for Christmas? I know it can be a stressful time but do whatever it takes to keep yourself in that "calm zone" ;-)

Take care. Digsby

• Posted

Have you had strep throat recently? Ask you doctor what PANDAS is and if you maybe have it. Your hormones should be tested too.
  • Posted

I tried Setraline and although it did help my mood, it didnt help my anxiety but I know of loads of people it has worked for. I think all these antideprresents that work for some dont work for others.

Its a matter of trying them and see how you get on.

Of all the antidepressents ive been on, only 2 I have had success stories with smile

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

Although my medication has now been changed due to changes in my condition, I was on sertraline for nearly 12months when I was 1st diagnosed with anxiety and depression. It took about 3 weeks to kick in but it did help massively and I would recommend it. My anxiety was so bad I went to the hospital on several occasions thinking I was having a heart attack so pretty severe at there worst. I would give them a try if it was me and see how you feel in yourself after about 3 months. If you haven't started to feel any more comfortable you may need a higher dose of to try another AD. Hope this helps. Nat xx

• Posted

My mum takes serra line and does very well on it, it can take three weeks to start helping so perseverance for a while,I hope this helps you. Prozac did not agree with her also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.