Should I take stool softener (Miralax) before hemorrhoid surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have surgery this Thursday, and was wondering if taking a stool softener would be recommended a few days before? I'm not sure if my doctor is prescribing me stool softeners or laxatives. Currently, I am on a soft food diet and taking fiber in preparation. 

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Surgeon told me to double up on it..

Didnt but just continued taking it once a day as i have been for over a year now. Had bm second day after surgery... You do not want to be constipated.

It will be much worse if you are.

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

• Posted

Gotcha! Thanks

Does it make sense to take both fiber (Metamucil) and stool softener (Miralax)?

• Posted

I only take a stool softener. Re Store aLax.

But yes eat lots of fruit n veggies as well to keep things moving. .. You dont want the runs. It will cause more pain.. And take pain pills as prescribed. Be careful as they may bum you up... you don't want this either..

You will find what works best for u. And dont forget your 3 liters of water daily.

• Posted

I'm having two internals (grade 3) removed. I've never had surgery before. Never broken a bone. I'm so so terrified. I barely sleep every night. 

Any advice you can give me? I feel hopeless. 

• Posted

I was like you but I'm a youthful 56 female. Never had kids as many women get hemorrhoids from giving birth. Mine have been an issue for ever it seems. And yes lifting weights can cause them as well. Been there done that.. I'm now 8 weeks post op. Feeling much better.

We all heal differently. So healthy or not it don't matter. I have always had good health for my age but these roids can take away your quality of life for sure..

Just have to keep positive. .and think positive.

All the best young man.

• Posted

Thanks for the words smile

I'm horrified but like you said, these issues can affect your quality of life tremendously. After two years of deep depression and hopelessness, I've finally decided to fight for my life back and just get the surgery. I know when I come out of it I'll be happier.

• Posted

I was given an enema just before surgery and sent home with movicol to take twice a day. Sounds like you are doing the right thing taking fibre and soft foods. I would wait now til after surgery and then start them as it’s the codeine based painkillers that constipate, and that’s what you need to avoid. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.