Should I take the medicine (Viread)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have hepitatis b infection in the liver. I need your advise if I should take viread medication if I have osteopenia and my kidney is not the best? I am currently taking oesteopenia pill. Please advise and help. Thanks a lot. I am worried about viread side effects on me. Another question is if I take the medicine, can I ever stop taking the viread medicine? Is it a life term medicine I have to take?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

do you mind me asking what symtoms you had with hep b thanks x
    • Posted

Hi Jazzyanne,

Hi Jazzyanne. Thank you very much for replying to my threat. I am 60 year old.  There is no symptom except that I urinate more often than before. Sometimes I feel tire but it maybe because it's a long day. I only know that I have the hep B virus from my blood work. My ALT Blood test in August shows 66 but now my recent blood test in November is 43. Does the lower number in November means my liver is getting better? 

Is it necessary to take viread medicine? I am just worried about too many side effects for taking that medicine.

• Posted

If you have chronic Hep B and don't take any medication your risk cirrhosis and liver cancer. Taking calcium and Vit D 3 supplements when you have liver damage is a good idea and will not contraindicate Viread. There are other anti virals such as Lamivudine if you have concerns about Tenofovir (Viread). It's a risk benefit, what are the risks to your liver and life if you don't treat the Hep B, versus a possible risk to your kidneys (any decent doctor will monitor your kidney function while taking Tenofovir). What is the benefit to your liver from taking the medication versus the risk to your liver from not. Yes you do take it for life. If you stop, the virus will replicate again. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your quick response to my question. I doubt that there are still a lot of possible side effects when taking the medication of viread. It is horrible. Originally, I only have liver problem but afterwords, I may get dangerous fetal illness to death and some other diseases related to viread.

Should I postpone taking the medicine at a later date if the symptoms of liver damage have been found or the blood result for ALT is higher than present through the regular checkup?

• Posted

All medicines have possible side effects, even children's medicine. It doesn't mean you will get them, just that there is a slight risk. Without Viread or a similar antiviral you risk serious illness or death. Which is worse?  I have been on Viread for 5 years so far. I'm fine and it has stopped my cancer coming back. Without it I got liver cancer. I know which option I choose to stay well and alive!
  • Posted

As you are obviously scared by the thought of taking Viread ask your doctor about Lamivudine instead.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your advice again. I will talk with my doctor about Lamivudine instead for my treatment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.