Should I tell my parents I have SVT?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm currently 14 years old and was diagnosed with SVT at 9 years old. I started taking meds as soon as I found out to stop it and it went away after a while. Recently I've been getting SVT every PE class and I feel light headed, my vision becomes blurry, and my chest feels tight. The episodes usually last from 30 minutes to an hour and reduces my ability to exercise in class. I'm considiring getting an Catheter Ablation but my parents don't know that it' still happening

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You do realise that you can't have a procedure without your parent's consent?  Or even see a Dr.   SVT is not dangerous but If the symptoms are bothering you and you want treatment then ask your parents to take you to the Dr.  This is not even a question.

• Posted

Please tell your parents it's still happening. You need to see your cardiologist and discuss your options. They may want to change your meds or consider the ablation. I had it done 2 months ago and haven't had any episodes, but I do get occasional PACs.

• Posted

You should tell your parents and see an electro physiologist.  As young as you are they might recomend an ablation so that you can enjoy exercising in your teen years and not be bothered with an attack.  Ablation has a 90% cure rate.
  • Posted

Daniel, I'm troubled that you aren't talking with your parents about your SVT.  My younger daughter and I had a difficult relationship when she was a teenager (thankfully, we're doing very well now), but in the midst of that mess she told me that her heart was "doing some weird stuff".  We talked, and I was able to use my experiences to get her the temporary help she needed.  Is there another adult you could talk with? I want you to, as soon as possible,  get the help you need, too.  An actual cure may be available for you, and I want you to have that.  Let us know, please, how you are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.