Should I trust my doctor's word or am I right?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi people, I could do with some reassurance that I am not going round the twist or haven't lost my mind completely yet!  I went to see my doctor as I felt I really couldn't cope and haven't been able to recently.  There are various reasons for this from PTSD flashbacks and nightmares, to nosy people where I live, to poor diet and being ill all the time.  My main reason to see her was to do with health, poor physical health and ask what I could do.  Yet again all she went on about is anit depressants, where I then flipped and lost it completely, I ranted and shouted at her, if she ever offered me anti depressants AGAIN I would just walk out.  The last time I had them I was dumped on them, my family thought it was a joke and I felt like a zombie, in fact I felt worse after a while.  My family have always seen assault as a joke, this is why I refuse to take anti depressants, as I don't agree with them being of any use.  She offered me something like netriptyline? (don't trust my spelling it's probably totally wrong).  My questions are this:  Will anti depressants work?  Doesn't it take ages for these drugs to hit your system?  Why should I give in to  taking them if I feel there's an alternative and why won't my doctor listen to my ideas?  I feel totally distrusting of her now, I hate what she's suggesting and want to also know if anyone here has other suggestions of what I can take instead that are non-addictive and won't bugger my health further.  I also thought drugs like this were unsafe for women who are still trying have a family.  I didn't know where else to turn sorry if it's the wrong place, apologies for the length of post too!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey, your doctor shouldn’t be pushing drugs on you, as it’s totally a personal choice whether or not you want to try antidepressants. I had bad PTSD in my early teens and was offered them, to which I refused and am glad I did. Not to say they don’t help some people, but I was never keen on going down that route. Always leaned more toward the holistic approach to treating these kinds of issues... My issues with PTSD issues come from my childhood and can still affect me as an adult... but I strongly advocate that self-care is the most important factor toward keeping yourself together... and giving it time is important. Exercise gets you out of your head, as well as getting outside in nature, go watch the sun rise or set, eat food that nourishes your mind & body, go meet and talk with new people, experience as much as you can. Never isolate yourself or fall into self-destructive habits - it’s so, so easy to fall into that if you let yourself... being happy and content with life takes a lot of effort, but your happiness and right to enjoy life again is worth everything. 

• Posted

I am so glad you understand this. I really shouted at her, which she didn't like but my thought is let her see. As this PTSD issue goes back 24 years what does she expect a walk in the park. This is PTSD and even my counsellor sees this and says I don't need antidepressants. If my doctor had allowed me to speak she would have also discovered I was also struggling with my dad's death. So I put it in a letter and told her all my problems. She's not responded back! I am now taking evening primrose on top of all the other multivitamins I take. I said it didn't work after 1 month I would then listen to her talk of something else. I hate having PTSD it makes me feel like shxx!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.