Should I try Actemra (Tocilizumab)

Posted , 17 users are following.

My rheumy is suggesting that I should try Actemra. Situation: PMR and GCA diagnosis in September 2016. Started at 60mg after some eye problems. Got down to 30mg in 8 weeks, flare-up at attempt to go to 25mg. Back to 60mg now slower, got down to 17.5 in 9 months. New flare-up, back up to 20, then 30 and then 50mg to get symptoms back under control. Then in 7 months DSNS method down to 12.5.mg. Now I have another flare-up and my rheumy suggests that I should try Actemra. I live in the US and am on Medicare, but it is going to be very expensive for me due to the copay. I have seen good double blind test reports, that suggest it is more effective than just prednisone.

I have no problems with the Pred: no weight gain, no high sugar, sleep well etc.

What do you think? Should I go for the Actemra or make sure the next DSNS "run" gets me below 10mg and then go even slower? 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My Reheum wants me to try Actemra also.  I’m nervous about the side effects, anyway you can get a grant from the  drug company for the copay.  I am also on Medicare and was told the copay could be as little as zero compared to $1,000.  My Reheum gave me the paper work to submit,  maybe you could inquire with the dr or mfg.  good luck,  
  • Posted

My Reheum wants me to try Actemra also.  I’m nervous about the side effects, anyway you can get a grant from the  drug company for the copay.  I am also on Medicare and was told the copay could be as little as zero compared to $1,000.  My Reheum gave me the paper work to submit,  maybe you could inquire with the dr or mfg.  good luck,  
  • Posted

Please advise what is the DSNS method to reduce Prednisone.  I never heard that term. Thanks
    • Posted

I've used the DSNS method as well.  It successfully got me to about 2 mg, although this seems to be a level I need to remain at for now, I think the PMR is still active although I've been on pred for nearly three years.  Thanks to DSNS I've been below 5 mg for two of those three years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.