Should I try and ask the doctor for more Diazepam or stop it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I (18M) was on Fluoxetine for about a week but had some really bad side effects from it including insomnia and very elevated levels of anxiety so I contacted my GP who prescribed Diazepam and told me to stop the Fluoxetine. I've been taking Diazepam for ten days now and feel much less anxious and I've been sleeping much better, but I only have enough Diazepam to last until tomorrow, whereas my next appointment with (a different) GP isn't until next Tuesday. So basically I'm wondering if I should be OK without it until the appointment since there shouldn't be any more Fluoxetine in my system so I shouldn't experience any side effects again after stopping the Diazepam right? I could try to contact the GP clinic and get more to last until the appointment but realistically I don't think I'll be able to get the prescription processed by tomorrow anyway since it says it takes 48 hours to get sent to the pharmacy. Any advice? I'm feeling fine right now but obviously it's hard to tell if that could change once I stop the Diazepam.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are struggling with Flouxetine (Prozac) which is an antidepressant. I've taken it with really no side effects. Just felt it quit working after a few years. Decided to try (paroxetine) Paxil with horrible side effects like what you listed. I literally wanted to crawl out of my skin. It made so much more anxious than before. I believe diazepam is generic for valium which is a benzodiazepene . They do help with anxiety but can be highly addictive in some people. Doctors usually only prescribe them for short term use. Such a shame because not everyone becomes addicted to them & the people who really benefit from them are made to suffer for the ones that do. Same thing with opiods (pain medication). Not everyone who takes these medications becomes addicted but the good have to suffer for the bad. Really sad & so unfair. I hope you feel better soon! Anxiety is horrible and I don't wish this curse on anyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.