Should I visit the ER?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi!

I'm a 27 year old female with PCOS.

For the past two weeks I've been experiencing very concerning pelvic pain.When it first began, it was specific to the left side of my pelvis and presented as a consistent throbbing pain. Due to PCOS, and also having a Mirena IUD I shrugged it off as just some random cramping because I definitely experience that often. I was able to control the pain with Ibuprofen so I just went about life as normal. After a couple days I noticed the pain getting more severe and radiating into my lower back on the same side. Ibuprofen was no longer really helping, nor was a heating pad. The pain has continued to morph into a very sharp stabbing pain, and now I've noticed that the pain spans my entire pelvic area. With extreme tenderness when I press my fingers above my pubic area. The back pain has also spread to cover my entire lower back.

I am absolutely doubled over in pain.

I have a history of ovarian cysts, and it didn't feel half as painful as what's happening now. Those past cysts resolved themselves.

My main concern is that I now have a cyst large enough to cause more problems than in the past, and I've scared myself a bit reading about how large cysts can twist the ovary. I also have considered the possibility that my IUD may have slipped out of place and is causing pain. I felt for my strings and everything feels normal.

I called to schedule an appointment with my PCP, who isn't able to see me for two weeks despite letting them know how severe my pain is.

I also contacted Planned Parenthood but due to my issue I had to schedule something rather than just do a walk-in and they can't see me for a week.

I don't have access to any other urgent services except the ER right now.

I just want some input on whether this is something I should wait a week to have checked out or if it warrants an ER trip? I'm very anxious about the pain continuing to increase, and it's certainly beyond uncomfortable at this point but I also don't want to take up ER resources, or spend many hours waiting for care if it was something that could have waited.

Not having any abnormal bleeding or discharge. I do feel the sensation of pressure in my lower abdomen and pelvis. I'm having pain with urination but it's not urethra pain. It causes me to feel an especially sharp pain in my uterus area.

I just don't want to overreact, or suffer any consequences from underrreacting!

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.